Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I'm not from CA, but I'm thinking 5 miles cover fair bit of the town and probably surrounding towns, I know my home/school zone's 5 miles would include 3 different neighboring towns in all direction radius and would be a huge inconvenience to me if they don't provide bussing. So, I second pp advice on ensuring the new school zone or home zone provides bussing for free if you're still stuck with that school after exhausting all of your options to change schools.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

CA state law does not guarantee placement in a neighborhood school, only in the district. This district has no bussing. There is a locally funded bus service, but it is only to the neighborhood schools.

I have spoken to multiple people at the district, but so far no luck, just a request to be patient. Yes, numbers could shift in the next week. But if they don’t, we’re out of luck. I feel so bad for DD—she is so upset.

Private school is not an option. We’re already paying 2 mortgages and can’t seem to find a renter for our old house. And that wouldn’t help with the social aspect, which is my biggest concern for her.

Honestly I’m more upset with my husband, who is insisting that I “fix” this. He also thinks it’s my fault for not lying to the district about when we moved in, even though the school told me registering earlier would have made no difference.

I’m just venting at this point. Thanks for the commiseration and advice.

ETA: School starts Aug 13.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ugh. I'm sorry for her. I hope she comes off the waitlist.

Is there another school that at least feeds into the middle school near you? If that has room, could you request that school instead?
    Kris

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This may sound crazy, and I know this is bitching, but I would swing by the district office every day. I would also bring up any issue she may have (anxiety? etc) in support of your position.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Ugh. I'm sorry for her. I hope she comes off the waitlist.

Is there another school that at least feeds into the middle school near you? If that has room, could you request that school instead?
    They placed her in the closest school that had space. Seems to me as though the district needs to re-evaluate its attendance boundaries.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    This may sound crazy, and I know this is bitching, but I would swing by the district office every day. I would also bring up any issue she may have (anxiety? etc) in support of your position.
    My husband basically says the same thing, but the problem is that there are other students/schools in the same situation, and if they make an exception for one student, well, you know the drill.

I realize this is small potatoes compared to what some people have to deal with. We're still hoping numbers shift and she gets a spot.

I wish I knew who all the OTHER affected families were so we could "rally the troops" and descend on the district office together.

I'm also trying to find out from the union whether the district ever even asked them about a willingness to increase class sizes by 1 or 2 (case by case) in order to prevent these situations.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I'm really sorry. That sucks. I do agree that the squeaky wheel often gets the grease. I'm sure there are parents in your situation, but they may not mind as much for whatever reason. I'd definitely let the district leaders know, politely, that I want my kid in the local school.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Instead of diverting her to the next closest school, which I was told was a possibility, they sent her to a school over 5 miles away. It doesn't even feed to the same middle school! So she's been uprooted from all her friends, going to a new school for just one year (5th--our previous district was K-6), and next year she gets to be uprooted again and go to a middle school different from the friends she'll make this year.
    I would point out this fact when I talk to the school administrators. If she's new to the school, I would hope they would help her make connections, not make it more difficult. When our school district did a redistricting and drew new boundaries for school admission, then changes applied to the younger students who didn't have older siblings already attending the school. The reason for this policy was to help students and families maintain school community. Your daughter is new to the school community, but the way the school is implementing its attendance policy is making it so she will not establish a school community until next year, whereas allowing her to attend her local school will allow her to connect immediately.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default District "Diverted" DD to School over 5 Miles Away!

I have no idea how that district works, but if she is happy at the new school next year would she have the option of just going to the middle school that the current assigned elementary school (5 miles away) feeds into?

Post this question on your neighborhood nextdoor or FB neighborhood page and see if anyone else is having this same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-06-2018 at 12:17 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I have no idea how that district works, but if she is happy at the new school next year would she have the option of just going to the middle school that the current assigned elementary school (5 miles away) feeds into?

Post this question on your neighborhood nextdoor or FB neighborhood page and see if anyone else is having this same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She would have that choice, sure. All CA districts apparently are required to offer school choice. But we bought a house within walking distance of the schools so that our kids could WALK to school. We don't want her to go to a different middle school.

And I found out it is NOT a union issue. There is nothing in the negotiated contract about class sizes. It is to maintain what "the community" has expressed a desire for (smaller class sizes). Well, I'm "the community" too, and I object!

Still working this issue. School starts a week from today.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast