Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If no busing can you work it from transportation issues and new to the area with a plan to walk?

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh, our district does this, too. We are in a high growth area, and if a school fills up, they shut off enrollment, no exceptions. They are very hard core about it, as exactly as you said, if they open up exceptions for one then they have to do it for everyone. We even have families with kids in two different high schools due to rezoning. Hopefully, the wait list opens up or they can find some room for kids that need the spot!!!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    She would have that choice, sure. All CA districts apparently are required to offer school choice. But we bought a house within walking distance of the schools so that our kids could WALK to school. We don't want her to go to a different middle school.

And I found out it is NOT a union issue. There is nothing in the negotiated contract about class sizes. It is to maintain what "the community" has expressed a desire for (smaller class sizes). Well, I'm "the community" too, and I object!

Still working this issue. School starts a week from today.
    Oh that is good about the Union not having a say....my sister has worked in districts (Rialto, and now Rocklin) where it is strictly limited as to how many kids can be in a classroom per the union. I would keep pestering the district, especially since the district didn’t put on their webpage or make it well known that attending a school in your home school boundary area may not be an option. I know this was huge in Oakland a few years back because when my mom and her siblings sold my grandma’s house in a top area of the district the flier listed the elementary school, but in parentheses there was some language about area residents being giving priority, but still not guaranteed.

This is what my sister’s district in Rocklin sent out a few years ago and it does state attendance area doesn’t mean guaranteed home school, but I read the enrollment for your district and there is no disclaimer.
    http://www.rocklinusd.org/documents/...%202016-17.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP, any idea what your waitlist number is? Or does the district not disclose what your number is?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    OP, any idea what your waitlist number is? Or does the district not disclose what your number is?
    No. There are only 2 at her grade level, but they won’t tell me if she’s 1 or 2.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

1 or 2 is a great number, but I know it's only a week away. I really hope she comes off of that waitlist. Have you had any chance to talk with or correspond with the superintendent?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

If you mean she's #1 or #2 on the waitlist, there's a VERY good chance she'll get into your neighborhood school. There's a ton of shuffling that happens within the first few weeks of school. If I got the call within the first month (possibly even two) after school started, I'd still switch schools even though classes have already started.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Have any inter or intra district permits been given out to children in her grade for that school and it’s not their residential school? They shouldn’t get a spot and a resident not be enrolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Have any inter or intra district permits been given out to children in her grade for that school and it’s not their residential school? They shouldn’t get a spot and a resident not be enrolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    That’s what I’m thinking. Resident spots should be a higher priority to kids within walking zone of schools. It’s never a real issue in NJ cuz there’s practically a school or several in every single town, no matter how small it is! So I’m always amazed by posts like yours, how aggravating it must be and hopefully that number 2 or 1 means actual spot in waitlist too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking. Resident spots should be a higher priority to kids within walking zone of schools. It’s never a real issue in NJ cuz there’s practically a school or several in every single town, no matter how small it is! So I’m always amazed by posts like yours, how aggravating it must be and hopefully that number 2 or 1 means actual spot in waitlist too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Well our township has 4 elementary, 1 middle and 1 high school. But we are just over 100 sq miles. We are walking distance to one elementary and a 20 min drive to another - only 2 traffic lights along the way,too.
    Kris

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast