Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Southern Maine hidden gems?

Heading to Maine next week. Any off the beaten path activities for my energetic 10 year olds? They are very strong swimmers, so I'm booking surf lessons, and plan on lots of hikes and beach time. But I'd love to hear other ideas for kid-friendly fun. TIA!
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

From the one person I know from Maine:
    Portland it the biggest city. Very fun minor league baseball team called the Portland Seadogs, great for kids. L.L. Bean is in Freeport, fun destination and sometimes has kids events. There is a desert in maine not too far from Freeport and a Zoo. Kennebunkport is another destination, Bush's compound. OOB, (Old Orchard Beach) is a great place for kids, has like a boardwalk with rides, Pirates Cove is a great mini golf place there.
    DD
    DS

The LLBean Outdoor Discovery classes are very affordable and really well run. We tried some things we never would have done otherwise - like skeet shooting

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay Harbor are beautiful.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We loved Boothbay Harbor. We had a wonderful day at the train museum there. Lovely grounds not crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

LL Bean is a great store to roam around. My kids loved it. If we had more time, their classes mentioned above looked great. Popham Beach and Crescent Beach are both great. I love taking the ferry to Peaks Island, renting bikes and biking around the island. I like lobster and climbing on the rocks at Two Lights Lighthouse. Love Portland Head Light light house and surrounding park. Wolfs Neck State Park in Freeport is great for walking along the coast. There are great tidal pools on Bailey’s island. Ogunquit is a great beach town with lots of shops. If you head inland at all, rent a boat on Sebago Lake. I have rented a pontoon boat on the lake.

This is in NH but right by the Maine border. One of my most favorite hikes especially when I was 10. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...e.html?m=19905

Thanks for all of the tips. Emerald Pool looks amazing, my girls would totally dig that. I'm wondering of the LL Bean store in Freeport is too far. My kids hate to shop, so I'd have to leave them with my DH when I drove there. I'm staying in southern Maine around Ogunquit. OOB is on the list, my girls love midway rides and have never been to a boardwalk. I'll look into Boothbay Harbor.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Thanks for all of the tips. Emerald Pool looks amazing, my girls would totally dig that. I'm wondering of the LL Bean store in Freeport is too far. My kids hate to shop, so I'd have to leave them with my DH when I drove there. I'm staying in southern Maine around Ogunquit. OOB is on the list, my girls love midway rides and have never been to a boardwalk. I'll look into Boothbay Harbor.
    So you are staying near Ogunquit?? Shane’s of Maine wouldn’t be that far. It’s a homemade ice cream shop that also sells $7 good lobster rolls.

Biddeford Pool (tidal pool) is supposed to be fun. In Raymond Maine, you can rent boats on Sebago Lake including kayaks I think. You can also rent canoes on the Saco River.

My kids and I don’t like to shop but we love LL Bean. Boothbay will be too far though.

Some other things that seem fun: https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...4/bobcat-ridge

http://agamenticus.org

https://www.wellsreserve.org

ps. Maine is my favorite place on earth. I have spent time in southern Maine for probably close to 20 summers and have spent a couple winters in Maine too. Feel free to Pm me about distances, etc.

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I love Maine! I'm not a fan of the Cape, so we head north every summer. Some great suggestions, but if you like donuts, head to Congdon's in Wells. You can eat breakfast there too. Oh and now they have food trucks at night. Didn't realize that until the day we were leaving last time we went.
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast