Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Updated - Really having a tough time with this

I posted a lot about my car search and purchase. It was a really big deal for me. It was a lot of money.

4 days later thieves stole the wheels off in the middle of the day while I was at work. I bought new wheels and tires ($3700) and had it towed to the closest dealer. Their estimate of the damages is another $3500.

I had called my insurance company from the parking lot of the dealer before I drove it off the lot. Somehow because of a mistake at the insurance the car wasn’t added to my policy. They are looking over their phone records and say that if I honestly did call that I should be covered. But it’s all a bit up in the air. Plus they want to inspect the car before the authorize any repairs and they certainly aren’t going to reimburse the wheels at this point. The car is therefore stuck in limbo at the dealer. So now I’m looking at likely several weeks without my car that had less than 200 miles on it, and possibly being out $7500-$8000 in repairs.

I know things could be worse and it’s just a car and all (please don’t tell me that). I’m driving my fathers car and I’m lucky my parents don’t generally need both their cars.

But I am so depressed. I can’t get over the feeling that my car is ruined and I just threw all this money down the drain. I can’t eat and I can’t sleep. I can’t really see a situation where I will enjoy driving this car again. I know this is irrational but It just sucks.
    Last edited by basil; 08-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I am so sorry. The whole situation is just awful!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

How awful. I hope the insurance figures out and gets you all covered. I'm so sorry.
    Kris

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Really having a tough time with this

I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

Can you search your phone records for proof of the call? When we bought my Lexus I had to have proof of insurance for the dealer before I picked it up even though we paid cash for it.

I can’t imagine why you would be without your car for that long. Insist that your agent send an adjuster to see your car on Monday or Tuesday at the very latest. Once you get the green light from them, Lexus should have you back in your car in a day or two at the most. If your work is near this dealership you could have your future service done with them and I would make sure to mention that to the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It’s all such a mess. The dealer messed up too somehow. I hadn’t bought a car in 8 years and the last one I bought was in a different state so it was a little confusing how transferring the plates was supposed to work. I gave them my insurance info and they took everything down and they were supposed to register the car for me, but then I got a call on Thursday (day after this happened) that they couldn’t register the car because they had forgotten to have me sign both titles. So a dealer came out to my house yesterday to have me sign the titles. I don’t even think that’s really related to anything except just adding to the stress and confusion of this all.

I can’t insist anything on my insurance when they are telling me they aren’t even sure I was covered. The car is at a diff dealer than I bought it from because it was closest to where the car was when I needed it towed.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh no, that really sucks and I understand why you're frustrated with your entire car purchase right now.

Does your cellphone have a list of outgoing calls or can you see one when you log into your cell account online? If you could show your outgoing call to the insurance agent it seems like you'd have a good argument that you added the car to your policy, especially if it shows duration. Why else would you spend ten minutes on the phone with your insurance right after a car purchase? I'd also press hard on your individual agent that if this isn't resolved promptly you'll be looking for a new insurance co for this and your homeowners policy, etc. Their clerical error should not cost you thousands of dollars.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow, how awful. I’m so sorry. I know how much thought and care you put into the purchase and then to now have this happen is so heartbreaking. In the time we’ve been married (19 years) we’ve had 2 situations where because of sucky situations and bad luck we’ve ‘lost’ a similar amount of money. Like you, I couldn’t sleep or eat or focus on anything else. Especially for a person who really values saving, it felt devastating to be out that much money for nothing. But, DH reminded me that it’s ‘just’ money and honestly we can lose and gain that much in the stock market and not even realize it. That sort of gave me pause. Ultimately it just takes time. I wish this hadn’t happened to you.
    Last edited by baymom; 08-04-2018 at 10:52 AM.

How did you drive off the lot in the car without proof of insurance? Where I live you cannot register the car or put plates on without it. If the dealership screwed that up, they should be helping you. They should never have let you leave the lot in a car that was not legally registered.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    How did you drive off the lot in the car without proof of insurance? Where I live you cannot register the car or put plates on without it. If the dealership screwed that up, they should be helping you. They should never have let you leave the lot in a car that was not legally registered.
    I thought this too. Your dealer should be able to confirm that your provided proof of insurance. Otherwise, I’d contact your phone service provider to get a printout of your calls for the last month. I think it highly unlikely you won’t be covered. Also, insurance never covers a repair without inspecting the car to put together an appraisal. That shouldn’t stress you out, it is just normal process

The registration paperwork should not cause you any worry, you are driving with temp tags. I’ve never had a car purchase with the dealer hasn’t forgotten a signature here or there.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 08-04-2018 at 11:04 AM.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's not irrational. It's awful that someone did this to you. Some people....ugh, I just don't get it. I know what you mean about feeling like you can never enjoy the car. After my home was broken into I felt so violated and like my home was a dirty crime scene, it took a long time for me to get over that feeling and it made me so mad that someone else could affect my life in that way. I'm sorry you had such a horrible thing happen.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast