Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    infocrazy is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am not an attorney or know anything...but if the dealer did not have you sign the paperwork or provide proof of insurance properly...was the car even yours during the theft? I am sure that is why they hurried over to YOUR HOUSE to have you sign it all real quick. My guess is that likely have accountability in your insurance issue and are trying to clean up their side. Hopefully you put the actual date when you signed and didn't let them back date.

I would be careful to have all communication with both insurance and dealer in writing from this point forward. I would also write out a timeline of all the events so you have something to refer to as time goes on.

Can't you screenshot the calls list on your phone? If they're saying you're covered if you called, then get them your proof ASAP. I don't get what's taking them so long to check. Many years ago I made changes to my retirement account over the phone. The next month it hadn't been made. I called and they were able to check their records while I was on hold. This was around the year 2000, when people still made phone calls instead of going online. You'd think 18 years later your insurance company would be able to check quickly!

That's a lot of money, I get why you're upset. But it can be resolved. It totally sucks though.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    How did you drive off the lot in the car without proof of insurance? Where I live you cannot register the car or put plates on without it. If the dealership screwed that up, they should be helping you. They should never have let you leave the lot in a car that was not legally registered.
    Well so DH questioned this when I got home and didn't have an inspection sticker so I called them back. They said that the way it works is that you fill out the registration transfer form, but they can't register a car on a Saturday. So you carry around the transfer form and your old registration and that counts as registration for 7 days. THey moved the plates from my old car to my new car. Then they were supposed do the registration for me. But I guess since I hadn't signed the title they couldn't and that's when they realized that. I think the salesman was very inexperienced. They really should have explained all that to me. I was supposed to get the car inspected then they would reimburse me but I never got a chance to because it needed to be registered first.

The insurance company does know that I called on Saturday night, because the first time I called them I questioned that and they were able to look back and see that I had called and when I checked yesterday the girl said yes, there is a note in your file saying you called on 7/28 asking to take the old car off and add the new car. She didn't seem to know why it was taking so long, only that "it takes a couple days".

I just feel so so dumb and this never would have happened if I did things right. And now I have a broken $50k car and no insurance and I did everything wrong.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Really having a tough time with this

In Illinois a new car is added automatically - you just have to call within 30 days. Your insurance should cover everything, less your deductible. Do not back down.

First, you need to call manager of dealer. They will be buying you everything if this is their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 08-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.

These circumstances would sour the whole new car experience for anybody. I’m angry and sad for you. So have a good cry and a pity party about it. But then it is time to get mad. Or at least firm. This car is insured. If they say it wasn’t yours yet because of title not being signed, then that is on the dealer so you need to make sure they are aware of this and what is going on. You weren't dumb in this. The dealer messed up signatures, you called your insurance while there, there is a note of it, etc. Things happen, but this wasn't dumb on your part. A pp said something about missing signatures happening with car purchasers. I wouldn't say it is normal, but it isn't entirely uncommon either. It normally gets fixed within a few days. You just had a claim within those few days so it makes the thing feel unfixable to you, but it isn't. You will need to be firm and document everything just in case.

I’m really mad and sad for you, too!

I know this is the BP, so please feel free to ignore the rest of my post. However, I wanted to suggest that you consider posting what happened and the lack of support to your dealership’s and/or insurance company’s Facebook, Yelp, or whatever social review sites you can find. I once read that is the way you can get the fastest and best service if you have a problem.

I know personally it works, at least on a smaller scale. I had a friend who’s moonroof window got smashed while she was parked in an offsite airport parking lot. She could tell that they were doing construction near her car, but the company refused to reimburse her. I told her to leave a Yelp review. She said that she got a call within two hours from the company apologizing for the “confusion” and offering to cover all of her expenses if she took down her review. Go figure the company’s reviews were all positive.... At any rate, I am sending really good positive thoughts your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    In Illinois a new car is added automatically - you just have to call within 30 days. Your insurance should cover everything, less your deductible. Do not back down.

First, you need to call manager of dealer. They will be buying you everything if this is their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    A new car is covered automatically here too with a grace period if you had existing auto insurance. I would look into that, it is pretty standard. Who is your insurance company? You need to advocate for yourself and not blame yourself - dealer handles registration, you called and added the car and took the old car off and this is their problem. Get mad at them, get fired up and tell them you expect the wheels to be covered as they were brand new on the car you had insured! You should only be out the deductible and aggravation but the car is still new and this is nothing you should blame yourself for. Life happens, that is why we have insurance. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

So if there is a note on your account saying you wanted the new car added, I don't understand why they aren't covering it! I agree that this is not your fault and you should only be out the deductible money. Get firm and angry with them if they aren't going to cover it.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Well so DH questioned this when I got home and didn't have an inspection sticker so I called them back. They said that the way it works is that you fill out the registration transfer form, but they can't register a car on a Saturday. So you carry around the transfer form and your old registration and that counts as registration for 7 days. THey moved the plates from my old car to my new car. Then they were supposed do the registration for me. But I guess since I hadn't signed the title they couldn't and that's when they realized that. I think the salesman was very inexperienced. They really should have explained all that to me. I was supposed to get the car inspected then they would reimburse me but I never got a chance to because it needed to be registered first.

The insurance company does know that I called on Saturday night, because the first time I called them I questioned that and they were able to look back and see that I had called and when I checked yesterday the girl said yes, there is a note in your file saying you called on 7/28 asking to take the old car off and add the new car. She didn't seem to know why it was taking so long, only that "it takes a couple days".

I just feel so so dumb and this never would have happened if I did things right. And now I have a broken $50k car and no insurance and I did everything wrong.

What the insurance company rep said isn’t correct. Auto insurance goes into effect immediately when you add a new car, there is no waiting period. You will have to advocate for yourself if they are being difficult. What company is it?

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry for all of this hassle! Here your new car is covered under your insurance and you have 10 days to add the new car. I would definitely call them on this.

I understand your pain though. I bought my first new car (not a luxury car though), and within two months of having it, a drunk driver drove through a fence and cement wall right into my car. It was the middle of the night and my car was parked in my assigned spot at my apartment complex, and I was asleep. Of course the guy ran from his car and then claimed his wife was the one driving and she was specifically excluded from the guy's insurance policy. As a result I had to go through my insurance to get it fixed. I had to pay a deductible and my rates went up as a result. As a first year teacher, I was out a lot of money that I didn't have through no fault of my own. Thankfully my insurance covered a rental car so I could drive to and from work while my car was being fixed. To add insult to injury when I went to trade my car in a few years later, they were only able to give me a bare minimum amount because my car had "been in an accident." Explaining the situation did nothing, as they just went off the car fax report. It was the guy's 4th DUI, he already had a suspended driver's license, and he did not have to serve any jail time or pay any restitution to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast