Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Any update on this? I hope your insurance co is stepping up.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Any update on this? I hope your insurance co is stepping up.
    Ugh, such a long story!

Finally, a week after the wheels were stolen and 1.5 weeks after I bought the car, my insurance became "active" on Amica's website. The claim person then called me and explained that the dealer had been slow in getting them paperwork and that's why it took a while for the car to show up as covered, and they sent out an inspector that same day. That person then told me that the other reps I spoke to should have never put doubt in my mind that the car would be covered, because obviously it would be.

As of last Saturday (7 days after I bought the car), I still didn't have a registration, which would have been a bigger deal, except I wasn't driving the car because it is still at the other Acura dealer. Tuesday, someone called me in a panic from the dealer I bought the car from, cheerfully asking me if I was driving the car or was the car still on their lot (?). Because it would have been illegal to drive my car. Because the dealer never did my registration. I finally received the registration on Thursday. Apparently, both the salesman and the finance person were "no longer there".

I went over my paperwork again and noticed a big mistake on their end. They way overpaid on sales tax to the state, because they forgot to deduct the value of my trade in from the sales price when they paid the tax. (I paid the negotiated price, they overpaid the state). In other words, the dealer or this salesperson or whoever really messed this up. I'm not impressed at all. This should have been a really straightforward transaction for them, and they royally messed it up.

The other Acura dealer has so far been great. After the insurance inspection was done on Wednesday they called and said they would try to expedite the repairs. I still don't have the car. The service manager was estimating Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm out my deductible but Amica has a check in the mail for the rest. The service manager also said he will "work with me" on the deductible which I take to mean he may charge me a little less for the work than the insurance estimate.

We are going on a road trip this weekend and I had been looking forward to taking my new car. We will have to take DH's car. It's not the end of the world. I'm trying to see the silver lining in that I will save miles on my car.

I'm really looking forward to getting my car back. I'm torn between sending an email to the GM of the Acura dealer I bought the car from letting him know how much his team messed up. But I'm not sure it will really make a difference, he may already know, and I doubt it will gain me anything. It actually may drag the ordeal portion of it out. I'm still trying to decide.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would send the dealer you bought the car from a letter and I would request that they pay your insurance deductible; it is the least that they can do for hiring incompetent staff. I would also write a yelp review, and post in brand specific forums about the issues you had with this dealer.

Thanks for the update and I hope you have a great trip and get your car back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Totally write the letter. They may not be able to pay for your deductible but could totally comp you in service fees for that amt in the future. Things like oil changes whatever. Unless you no longer trust them at all.

I hope you have a great trip
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also hope that the dealer reimburses you the difference between the sales tax owed and the sales tax paid. That is ridiculous. When I bought my car in May, something ended up costing less (I bought the car in an other state that doesn’t have sales tax) and they sent me a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll probably not go back there for service.

I don't see why they would pay my deductible, since they did not cause my wheels to get stolen.

The sales tax issue is funny...I sent the sales person an email saying "I will pay $xx,xxx for the car if I can get $x,xxx for my trade in". He said that sounded reasonable. I called and made a $1000 deposit on my CC. He asked for me to arrive with a certified check, so I asked for him to send me the exact amount. He sent me an email saying "the amount you will owe for the car, less the trade, plus taxes, title, fees, license is $xx,xxx. This lined up with my own calculations, so I got a check for that amount.

When I got there the finance person was asking for another $400. I said no. They brought in the guy who had sent me the email. He said the email was correct and they changed the price.

In retrospect, the finance person had calculated the tax based on the price of the price of the car NOT less the trade, but that was incorrect and that's what the discrepancy was. But instead of fixing that, he deducted $400 from the price of the car. And kept the sales tax the same. The registration I got Thursday confirmed that that's the amount of sales tax that was paid to the state.

So I don't think I actually overpaid, I just noticed that they messed it up for themselves. It seems really sloppy for people who do this for a living and do car transactions every day, KWIM?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Most car dealerships live and die by customer surveys that are sent by the corporate parent. If you contact the GM, and let him know that you had a terrible experience and that you plan to let Corporate know about their massive and repeated screw-ups, you may find them to be very responsive to whatever you suggest, including a partial refund.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4