Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Angry So much for limited screen time....

DS has a martial arts camp this week. It is full-day and the instructor has a long list on FB of things the kids will be learning during the week and she also said to pack extra food for snacks and lunch because the kids will be active all day and get so hungry!
    Well, yesterday was the first day--DS said the only part he didn't like was when they watched The Mighty Ducks. That's right, they watched the entire Mighty Ducks movie!! And he said it wasn't even over lunch break or a snack break!!
    I wouldn't have a problem with them showing a video clip while the lids ate a long lunch, but that wasn't the case. So much for all that physical activity we were promised. I was feeling good about getting DS out of the house so he would be doing something productive but we may bow out of the rest of the week if they watch another show today.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

And you're paying for this?! I would be livid!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    And you're paying for this?! I would be livid!

Right?? It's $50 for 9-3:30 all week so it's not expensive but still. The whole point of summer camp is so my child has something to do other than watch tv all day!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Right?? It's $50 for 9-3:30 all week so it's not expensive but still. The whole point of summer camp is so my child has something to do other than watch tv all day!
    Exactly, you could have him watch TV at home for free!

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I would be really annoyed.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Nope, not good at all! Unless there is a weather related reason they watched a movie; storms, extreme heat, muddy fields! Definitely ask about it at pickup today!

HOWEVER, $50 for a WEEK of "full" day camp???? That's insanely cheap!

I would be annoyed but far from livid. And for $50 all day, I don’t think you can expect much really. But I would just send s nice and friendly, non-accusatory email and ask if more movies planned since you were really hoping for more physical activity and less screen time. There might have been a staffing issue or issue with kids or something not anticipated (once year in the 90’s our karate camp had the kids watch a movie as too hot in the space to keep up the activity). And most physical camps that aren’t high level sports have a downtime component. And for $50 that is so cheap I am not super surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would be annoyed too. That’s crazy cheap but I still wouldn’t be happy and I would pull my guys if happened again today.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    DS has a martial arts camp this week. It is full-day and the instructor has a long list on FB of things the kids will be learning during the week and she also said to pack extra food for snacks and lunch because the kids will be active all day and get so hungry!
    Well, yesterday was the first day--DS said the only part he didn't like was when they watched The Mighty Ducks. That's right, they watched the entire Mighty Ducks movie!! And he said it wasn't even over lunch break or a snack break!!
    I wouldn't have a problem with them showing a video clip while the lids ate a long lunch, but that wasn't the case. So much for all that physical activity we were promised. I was feeling good about getting DS out of the house so he would be doing something productive but we may bow out of the rest of the week if they watch another show today.
    Watching with other kids is better than sitting home. And he’s getting out of the house and some physical activity. For $50 for a week of full time child care, go out to lunch with your friends and don’t stress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was angry on your behalf until I read it’s 50 bucks for full day week camp. Not to discount your grievance, cuz I would be annoyed! But honestly, what would a parent expect for 50 bucks per week camp? I wouldn’t imagine a lot of high level structure.

I signed up my boys for a sport focus half day camp as a drop in (3 days a week) and it’s 300 bucks for both boys! Just to give you a bit of perspective and I would be very angry if I came to find out they spend majority of 4 hours watching a movie at that price level. I don’t know how much camps cost typically in your area though, if 100 a week is your mid range option then I would just ask next time at drop off if more movies were gonna be expected and you can determine. But I agree whole point of camp is getting your kid to be busy in mind and body, otherwise I would have hosted play dates at my place. For I would mention, if nothing else in principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast