KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Don't call me sweetie

No, I'm not your sweetie, random plumber guy. I am not that much shorter than you and certainly not 6 years old. In fact, I probably am older than you. So knock it off.
    K

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ah! Just reading this gives me the creeps!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    No, I'm not your sweetie, random plumber guy. I am not that much shorter than you and certainly not 6 years old. In fact, I probably am older than you. So knock it off.
    We moved to the southern part of the country, and the random pet names from complete strangers (particularly in a customer service setting) has been one of the most irritating changes! Even girls younger than me call me sweetie or honey. It also drives me nuts when teachers address students as "baby," which also happens frequently. It drives me bonkers.
    Last edited by okinawama; 08-08-2018 at 08:21 AM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OMG! I am SO with you!!!! I am not your Honey or Sweetie. I have gone Ballistic at service people who refer to me as such. I am Mrs. X. Baring that, Miss or M'am will do.

FWIW, I do not live in the south. There, I give a pass to older women for calling me that but thats about it. I find it SO patronizing.

If a teacher wants to use one of those as a sign of affection for a younger child they know well, I'm even ok with that though not baby. But random dude who's supposed to be providing service, Nope!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Whoa, that is SO PATRONIZING! I wonder how many times the guy has gotten away with it. I think I'd be in shock if someone I asked to handle an issue for me (at my expense!) called me sweetie.

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Don't call me sweetie

Reading this, I realize that I have apparently "outgrown" being called Sweetie/Honey/etc, but that was one of the harder adjustments moving to the South after growing up in NJ/NY. Even worse was having my students call me ma'am (especially since my "students" had completed medical school and residency, and were now in a faculty fellowship program)!

Now I’ve apparently graduated to Miss Jane

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 08-16-2018 at 04:11 PM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Its a southern thing. Darlin' is also in that list. I can toss in a Well bless your heart with the best of them LOL
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

On my doctors used to call me "kiddo". He is all of six years older than me, so hard pass on the "kiddo", dude.

I started calling him "Buttercup" and referring to him only by his first name without the honorific and he cut it out.

Sheesh!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

This post came back to my mind just this week. It totally depends on how some people say things. I just bought a dishwasher and totally changed sales people somewhere I know they get commissions because the first one totally rubbed me the wrong way being condescending.

But this week I had a crew of four removing trees and doing some other work on the property. The lead guy and I had walked around the house several times. He wasn't condescending just joking the entire time. I told him he was whining as he was stating his case to keep one tree and remove a bush that I wanted to go the other way on. Towards the end of the day he asked when the lawn service came and I said "you're looking at it" and I got a "go girl" - just because of the banter it didn't bother me in the least. But I know many other people that could have gone very differently with.