Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What is your favorite way to make iced coffee or cold brew at home?

I love both iced coffee and cold brew; I realize they are made completely different ways and like both. I just bought a Primula cold brew maker and am considering returning it. It gets a lot of coffee grounds in the coffee and I find I need to put it through a paper filter before I drink it. There are recipes using mason jars and paper filters, so no reason I cant do those...not sure what I want to do though.
    I've also seen the recipes about just making coffee, letting it cool, and putting it in ice cube trays.

What is your favorite way to make either iced or cold brew at home?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just let the coffee get cold and add about 2/3 coffee then 1/3 milk to a glass full of ice. Deelish!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used to do Pioneer Woman’s but I struggled with the logistics of containers and such. I did run it through my pour over that uses paper filters to make it perfectly clear.
    I’ve lately just been buying it in a bottle like Gevalia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I make both iced tea and coffee. I just brew normally but strong. I then put lots of ice in a stainless steel container and pour the coffee or tea over the ice. It’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don’t care for ice coffee, but my parents swear by just adding their brewed coffee over ice! Neither drink their coffee with cream. DH does the same but adds some creamer or milk to it.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Not a coffee drinker, just learning new things today. Is iced coffee not just regular coffee with ice? I had always assumed it was, so now I am wondering what is different about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I make cold brew by putting one cup of ground coffee in a pitcher and adding four cups of water. I let it sit on the counter until I think it's done - usually 12 hours? Sometimes it's longer if I've forgotten about it. To strain it, I put a mesh filter (from the coffee pot) in a wide measuring cup, then add a paper filter, then start pouring in the cold brew. As the measuring cup fills up, I pour the cold brew into a mason jar. If my filter was small enough to fit into a mason jar, I wouldn't use the measuring cup.

DS is the one who drinks this the most. He mixes cold brew and milk to make what he calls "coffee milk." We don't have sophisticated coffee palates, so I use the big bags of ground coffee from Costco.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Iced coffee and cold brew are different. Iced coffee is just regular brewed coffee chilled and/ or poured over ice. Cold brew is never heated. You soak the grounds in non-heated water for 12-24 hours. Cold brew is less acidic, more mild and tastes somewhat sweeter. It’s also less diluted than iced coffee.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You must buy this!
    https://toddycafe.com/
    By far the best. I love it and I drink it year round.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trentsmom View Post
    I make cold brew by putting one cup of ground coffee in a pitcher and adding four cups of water. I let it sit on the counter until I think it's done - usually 12 hours? Sometimes it's longer if I've forgotten about it. To strain it, I put a mesh filter (from the coffee pot) in a wide measuring cup, then add a paper filter, then start pouring in the cold brew. As the measuring cup fills up, I pour the cold brew into a mason jar. If my filter was small enough to fit into a mason jar, I wouldn't use the measuring cup.

DS is the one who drinks this the most. He mixes cold brew and milk to make what he calls "coffee milk." We don't have sophisticated coffee palates, so I use the big bags of ground coffee from Costco.
    I use a very similar method, 2/3 c coffee added to 3 c water in a mason jar, sit on the counter around 12 hours, filter through a paper filter resting in a filter basket over a second mason jar. We always have a batch in the fridge in the summer.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...ed-iced-coffee
    Last edited by mikala; 07-28-2018 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast