Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Rental house toddler pool safety

We're going on a vacation soon with multiple families and the rental house has a pool. I don't know yet what kind of door locks, cover, etc. it will have. What would you suggest to help with pool safety? We'll have rules around always having an adult supervising, life jackets/puddle jumpers whenever you're anywhere near the pool so I'm mostly thinking ways to keep the toddlers and preschoolers from accessing the pool without adult supervision. As parents we'll watch them closely but kids are quick and unpredictable.

Thanks!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yikes. That would make me nervous! Is it possible that you could have an adult on duty near the pool when you’re all together? You could take shifts?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would ask the homeowner/company what the setup is. direct pool access from the house? separate gated fence?

How obedient are your kids? Rule followers or not so much? Are they used to the "never go near water w/o an adult"rule? ie- you have your own pool and its not an issue normally? Depending on the answers, I would consider putting in those alarms - the watch alarm or the thing that floats and beeps if something falls in.

Not to be overly paranoid, but this is EXACTLY the sort of situation where lapses happen. There are so many adults everyone thinks someone else is watching the child and they slip off.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yikes. That would make me nervous! Is it possible that you could have an adult on duty near the pool when you’re all together? You could take shifts?
    Replying to my own post here. I’ve been places with my kids when because of the setup I don’t have a moments respite. (Like a beach house or mountain cabin) This might be like that! I think I’d plan on keeping my child in my sight at all times, excepting for some periods of grownup hang out time when a grownup will take a shift watching the pool and making sure kids are not nearby. Warning, other grownups will think you’re extreme but if you can get them onboard you can be safe. Agree with PP that this is precisely the setup where tragedies occur.

I think the impetus is on you to call the rental agency or owner and find out what the setup is.
    We have rented houses twice near Disney, in the same resort. The first time was a house that was managed by a big rental agency and they had standard pool alarms in all of their units - to the point that when we picked up the rental info at their office, they did a demo of the pool alarm.
    The second was through a much smaller agency. There was no pool alarm at all. Thankfully DS was old enough that it wasn't a concern, but I'm definitely glad we had the alarm when he was smaller.

Before you buy any alarms or whatnot, you need to call the rental and find out their exact setup regarding pool safety. It really varies a lot!

Are you usually around pools a lot? To the point where your kids know the drill and consequences if not obeyed? My boys are around pools daily from May to Sept since DS1 was 3. They know NOT to even kid or fool around without an adult. It really depends how aware of pool and water safety your kids are and your comfort level as a parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did this when DS was age 2. There were two age 2 year olds there and a ton of adults.

I did the verbal hand off. Before an adult went "off duty" on watching, they handed off verbally to another adult and got the confirmation.

It helped that the general family area in the house we were in was on the 2nd floor. MUCH harder for a 2 year old to get down the stairs and outside without anyone noticing than just slipping out a door. But my son never tried. He played across the room from us while we chated and kept eyes on the two two year olds. When he took a nap I'd stay on the same level with him until asleep, then had my speaker with him so I could hear if he woke/stirred. (and he was confined and behind three doors between him and the pool, one of them kept locked.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Assuming there is a fence around the pool at the very least I would bring a padlock for the gate. Also keep exterior doors locked so kids can not get outside without an adult. There are travel door alarms you could get so you know when an exterior door is opened.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for all of the replies! You've given me a lot to think about and are helping me think of questions to ask the owner. The kids range from 2yo-teen but I'm mostly worried about the youngest ones, especially with older kids around that might not be diligent about closing patio doors.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies! You've given me a lot to think about and are helping me think of questions to ask the owner. The kids range from 2yo-teen but I'm mostly worried about the youngest ones, especially with older kids around that might not be diligent about closing patio doors.
    I think the mix of ages does make it hard! Because, like you say, the older ones will be running in and out, etc. They just won't get the seriousness of it.

The day Bode and Megan Miller's daughter drowned, another boy drowned in exactly the same way, he just slipped out to the pool area and no one knew. Tragic. Megan Miller was at a neighbor's, the Hughes were at a vacation home full of doctors.
    https://www.tennessean.com/story/lif...ion/763742002/

So, definitely ask the owner what they have and I'd look into a floating alarm for peace of mind if the owner's precautions are lacking. They aren't terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast