Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do you feel about this seating arrangement for quick car ride?

I'm helping take some kids to school and with all of the boosters needed and the way my car is configured, I'm thinking of letting DS1 sit in the front seat just for the ride to school. He just turned 10 though. The school is literally in our backyard, so the right is a 2 minutes ride. I'm so against putting him in the front seat, but it would make things so much easier, as the rest of the kids are tiny and haven't figured out yet how to get their belts on/off, backpacks on, doors open, etc. He could hop out and open the door for them if he was in the front. Right now I'm having to park in the parking lot, help kids out, my kids climb out the back because they have to sit in the 3rd row, and then walk them to the crossing guard vs just going through the drop off line. Would you let him sit in the front or just suck it up and deal with the other seating arrangement?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would be ok with it. If your DS is the oldest, tallest, and his behavior in the car is fine then don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've done it and would do it in a pinch again with ds2.
    But, I would work on getting those other kids the skills needed to do their belts and door. They should be able to figure it out.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could he walk to school?
    DS 2/09

I would be ok with that. It just makes the most sense. A two minute ride to school isn’t a 4 hour drive on the interstate.

And it’ll give your DS practice if for some reason he has to ride in a front seat in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sure it isn't a big deal but I think I would always worry about it. Can you tweak it slightly so that you can make a different arrangement work?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As an occasional ride? Sure I'd be ok with it. As a daily setup much less so.

If its a 2 min car ride I'd just walk. Much easier and I found that by the time you get everyone into the car and get the car parked and everyone out, you might as well just have walked. Unless its raining cats and dogs. Even I drive in heavy rain. I HATE Rain.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would walk as well unless the weather is too horrible - it really helps my kids get some fidgets out before the day starts too. We are 2 blocks from our elementary. For occasional, I'm fine with the front seat for my 10 year old.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd be fine with it I have a tall skinny almost 10 yr old we live 1.8 miles from his school There is no way I'd allow him to walk. He has on occasion ridden in the front seat to soccer or school.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it were just my two we'd walk because they're older and can handle it better. There are two problems with walking right now. 1) They younger two are 4 and slower than molasses. We'd have to leave way earlier than we are right now and currently, they aren't getting dropped off until about 2 minutes before we need to load up because their parents are just as slow (this is family, so I am trying to be helpful by taking them to school). 2) Even though the school is directly behind us, it's not easy to get to. (I know this sounds ridiculous). There are some trees between us and no sidewalks in front of our house to get to the school. If we were to walk to the school, we'd have to walk down the street about 6 houses, across an empty lot, across the practice football field, and finally get to the sidewalk that goes to the school. The other option is to walk though the trees, but then there's no crossing guard to help get across the busy drive that goes into the high school or across the high school parking lot and those kids fly. Once they would make it to a sidewalk that leads to the elementary building, then they have to walk all the way around the high school just to get to another sidewalk (or across said football field). It's not laid out very well at all.

I am planning on working with the littles to get them where they need to be, but that's going to talk a while I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast