essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Just got diagnosed with Graves disease

Yay me! The autoimmune issues in our family run high! DS1 has eczema and ulcerative colitis, my mom has Hashimotos, my uncle has rheumatoid arthritis, my cousin has vitiligo. I've opted for medication because of the chance for remission. My doctor is also starting me on a beta blocker to bring my heart rate down. I swear that the stress of the Trump regime was my trigger! I think I'll try and eat Whole 30 permanently, cut down on my news intake, and start doing yoga. Does anyone else have Graves? Did you ever go into remission? My doctor says if you're going to go into remission it usually happens in the first 18 months. My thyroid stimulating antibodies are quite high at 319.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 08-10-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've had it since college. My drs strongly recommended the radiation pill which of course sent me right into hypo. I dont really remember being told remission was an option. They told me I could try medication first but that it would likely not be enough esp when I got pregnant someday etc. That I should just do it now and be done with it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Honestly - google Root Cause Protocol. Your symptoms are classic iron toxicity from everything I have read on the corresponding FB group.

It's fairly mainstream in approach to diet except no iron fortified foods (aside from the general low sugar, processed, etc) which you will likely avoid in an whole30. There's tons of research on iron toxicity and why iron infusions are the devil. The big thing to incoroporate is grassfed beef liver (for retional, b vitamins) and bee pollen if tolerated.

http://gotmag.org/the-root-cause-protocol/

The FB group is Magnesium Advocacy.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Are thyroid stimulating antibodies the same thing as the TPO? My doctor tested mine back in March and the value was 616. The lab range says it should be less than 9. I haven’t had a follow up visit with him since then and he said nothing in the lab notes about it being high.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mermanaid View Post
    Are thyroid stimulating antibodies the same thing as the TPO? My doctor tested mine back in March and the value was 616. The lab range says it should be less than 9. I haven’t had a follow up visit with him since then and he said nothing in the lab notes about it being high.
    No, TPO is thyroid peroxidase antibody and TSI is thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin. My TPO is fine, only my TSI is high. I think TPO is high in Hashimotos, which is what my mom has.

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for replying. I don’t think he tested TSI. Will look into Hashimotos.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Honestly - google Root Cause Protocol. Your symptoms are classic iron toxicity from everything I have read on the corresponding FB group.

It's fairly mainstream in approach to diet except no iron fortified foods (aside from the general low sugar, processed, etc) which you will likely avoid in an whole30. There's tons of research on iron toxicity and why iron infusions are the devil. The big thing to incoroporate is grassfed beef liver (for retional, b vitamins) and bee pollen if tolerated.

http://gotmag.org/the-root-cause-protocol/

The FB group is Magnesium Advocacy.
    I will look into to this but my thyroid labs were abnormal and I had hyper symptoms when my iron levels were extremely low, before I even had any iron infusions. I honestly started having symptoms after Trump was elected! I think the stress from the daily chaos in the news was a trigger!

Autoimmune conditions and thyroid issues run in my family and I'm the only one who has taken iron. My mom has Hashimotos, and my grandma and 2 uncles have hypothyroidism. My cousin has vitiligo and DS1 has eczema and ulcerative colitis. At least there's no cancer, heart disease, or diabetes in our family!

Last edited by essnce629; 08-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.