Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WWYD Vacation?

Default WWYD Vacation?

I have a “girls” vacation planned for next Spring with my Mom and 2 other adult family members. I am planning to bring DD who will be 18 months then. I know I will have a much more fun, relaxing vacation if I leave her at home (and DH has suggested I leave her with him). But I am just not sure if I will be ready to leave her. What would you do?

DS was 2 when I left him for vacation the first time, and I cried when I left but had a wonderful and much needed trip with my Mom. Really my only hesitation is that I am hoping to still be breast feeding then (DS was 21 months when he stopped, and I was good with that) and I don’t want my vacation to be the thing that ends that for us.

It is a peak travel time and I will need to buy plane tickets soon, otherwise I would just wait until the last minute to decide. It is a cruise, and I don’t know if her part of it would be refundable less than 3-4 months out, but that is not a deal breaker for me. I had planned to get her a plane ticket. Though I guess I could buy myself some time by not buying her a ticket. Or I might be able to get it with miles on Southwest which would make it refundable? I would likely choose a different flight (on a different day to a different airport) for myself though if she weren’t coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend and I did a girls trip while she was still bf'ing her toddler (she left her toddler at home). It was just a weekend and there was no negative impact on the nursing at all. How long is your trip?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Leaving her with her dad yes I would at that age. Take a pump pump & dump a couple times a day Or save it if you have a place to do so. DS4 really slowed down nursing between 18 & 24 months for me. I wouldn't leave mine with anyone else but a parent at that age.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD Vacation?

I would bring the breast pump....enjoy your trip....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Trip is a week, and I have no problem taking a manual pump and pumping and dumping (maybe save last few days worth) a few times a day while I am gone, just kind of worried that she might not want to nurse again when I got home and I would feel really guilty about it.

I would not be worried about her at all while I was gone. She would be at her regular daycare during the day and with Dad and brother nights and weekend days. Dad is fabulous, very involved parent, and does not have to work super long hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I nursed until 17m w one and 19m with the other. If the trip is the thing that ends your nursing relationship, I bet it won’t feel too bad. It’s always bittersweet when it ends but quickly you’ll find your new connection. I would go solo on the trip. I think it’ll be a great break and chance to connect with your family.

A whole week? LOL I haven't left my 14 yr old for a whole week.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    A whole week? LOL I haven't left my 14 yr old for a whole week.
    We went to Belize for 8 days when ds2 was 21m. The grandparents did a fabulous job!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We went to Belize for 8 days when ds2 was 21m. The grandparents did a fabulous job!

Nope its never been something I had any desire to do. We have on occasion done a week end but vacations are for family here. They will be gone and out of the house that will be soon enough for us to go away. I know lots of people who do it but its just not for me I know DH would in a heart beat LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    I have a “girls” vacation planned for next Spring with my Mom and 2 other adult family members. I am planning to bring DD who will be 18 months then. I know I will have a much more fun, relaxing vacation if I leave her at home (and DH has suggested I leave her with him). But I am just not sure if I will be ready to leave her. What would you do?
    I am like JBaxter and wouldn't be comfortable leaving for a week, and would bring her or not go. But that's me, what's for you may be different.

My youngest son was miserable to wean (at almost 2.5!) and I did use a work trip (just 2 nights away), to force the issue. He would have GLADLY resumed nursing when I returned, if I had let him, but I was DONE DONE DONE. I think this could go either way but I do think a lot of kids wean after a separation like this.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast