Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WWYD Vacation?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You also don't even know for sure that by next Spring she will still be nursing (even if that is the plan, it doesn't always work that way).

I agree, either leave her with dad which sounds like it will be totally fine (and at 18 months I bet you are ready for a little break) or not go at all. Taking an 18 month old, even if it's not a whoop it up type of vacation, will still be all about meeting the needs of a toddler at a very active stage and a cruise ship isn't exactly the easiest place to do that.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I say leave her with Dad. She is in good hands.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I am leaning toward leaving her home, but am going to wait at least a few months to make the final decision. I will not cancel her cruise reservation, but I will not get her a plane ticket yet either. I will reassess when final payment is due for the cruise, and if I decide to take her I can either take her as a lap child or buy her a plane ticket later because I really hate lap toddlers
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Good luck. I'd opt to leave her at home. But I don't want to go anywhere with an 18 month old. I've taken kids up to 9 months absolutely everywhere, but from 9 months to 2 1/2 or so traveling is just hard on everyone. With dad and routine at home, I'd go.

We did leave our youngest DC at 18 months with grandparents for almost a week and took the older ones to WDW. Great trip.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

“Given the choice of their mother depressed and suicidal in the next room, and their mother ecstatic in Hawaii, they’d choose suicide every time.” Julie Kayner in “This is My Life” the movie, talking about her children.

Go on the trip sans child. Your daughter will be too young to remember it in the future anyway. Heck, I got pouted at because I told them I have to go home for a week to help my mother post-mastectomy. You deserve adult time with your mom. We forget those days are numbered also, not just childhood.

Whatever you choose to do, please don’t let anyone make you feel bad about your decision. If you decide you want to leave her, then great. If you feel like you aren’t ready to leave her, then that’s okay too. I really don’t like how our society pressures moms to leave their kids at a young age. If it works for you, enjoy yourself! But if you aren’t ready yet, it’s okay, and don’t let anyone make you feel bad! There will be other opportunities in the future.

And as someone who just got off a cruise less than a week ago, I would have zero interest in bringing an 18 mo old on a cruise. You wouldn’t have any time to relax because the toddler is too young for the kids club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't, but I know many of my friends would (and did). Do whatever is comfortable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You deserve adult time with your mom. We forget those days are numbered also, not just childhood.
    That’s a really great point.

I’ve never left DS for a week but I left him for four days when he was five months old. I went on a trip with a friend to celebrate her 30th birthday. Our other friend left her then-23 month old. Neither one of us was nursing so we didn’t have that complication.

I agree that there is no right decision. My friend who was turning 30 at the time was divorced with no kids. She has since remarried and has a 4 1/2-year-old and a 2 1/2 year-old. She wouldn’t leave those kids to spend the night at a house down the street. We now think that she judges us for going on that trip with her several years back. Ha.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I also did extended nursing and mine were older than that before I could leave them for a week, but it is doable even if you are still nursing. I would either go and leave her with dad and some frozen milk if you want and pump if you are uncomfortable (and by then your body should be okay with that) or wait and go on the trip one year from now when you have a an older toddler, almost preschooler. Taking an 18 month old on a “girls’ trip” and a cruise that that seems like not a vacation to me and I wouldn’t be thrilled if I had a friend bringing her toddler along. Just a very different experience and not a real adult get-away. You will know more about if you both are ready as she gets older. But have fun if you do go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    You deserve adult time with your mom. We forget those days are numbered also, not just childhood.
    Thanks for this, it may be what makes the decision for me. I am very close to my mom, but live a 2 day drive away. She is an amazing Grandma, but I miss having time with her where I am the daughter, not the grandkids Mom. We used to travel just the 2 of us most years since I was in grad school. The trip when my son was 2 is the only trip we have had a lot of time just us since before I was pregnant with my now 4.5 year old. I need to do that for me and for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3