Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Paint color for tween girl room? Teal?

DD goes to camp in a few days and while she is gone, I will be packing up some outgrown things and hopefully painting her furniture (back to a clean white) and the walls in her room. She would like a teal color, but we are both struggling at finding one that seems right. This is not our strength, for sure! She keeps eyeing teal accessories too, which seem to me would be hard since they'd blend with the walls. So maybe the walls should be something else?

Anyone good at this? Her carpet is beige and really needs to be replaced. I'd be up for that in the near future if we can get walls done while she is gone. If I had planned better, I'd get carpet in next week, too!
    Kris

Teal would pop really well with a light greige wall - Accessible Beige/Agreeable Grey from SW come to mind depending on the beige of the carpet.

Not sure how well that would go over with a tween though

Or maybe select accents (if possible) like this?? http://iscsisantarget.com/pleasing-t...-gray-bedroom/

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just did 11 yr. old Dds room in Fountain Mist. She has a rugby stripe white/teal comforter from Target, darker teal curtains, and white furniture. It came out really nice. I’m struggling with younger Dds room though, she picked out Free Spirit and on the walls it is very bright! She loves purple so I’m sure she will love it when she gets back from camp, but I wish we had talked her into a softer color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When we bought our house a few years afo, the sellers’ 16yo daughter had a teal/turquoise room. It looked like an aquarium. It had a bluish glow to it. The mom said the daughter regretted her paint choice because she couldn’t do her makeup or paint (she was artistic) in her room because it has a bluish tint to it.

I contemplated keeping the color when we moved in, but then ended up repainting the room a light pink with light purple accent wall behind the bed. Now my DD is 12, so we got rid of the “little kid” comforter set and art on the walls last year, and added a bright pink, white and teal boho style comforter set, with some teen type art in purples, teal and gold. It adds enough dark teal and purple without overwhelming the room.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did teal accents and painted the walls greige (Requisite Gray Sherwin Williams). I really like it. I like that the wall is a neutral that can make lots of things pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We did this last year with DDs room. SW conservative grey on the walls and teal accents everywhere. She LOVES her room and it will be easy to change the accessories later if she ever chooses.

We kind of used this for inspiration but in our heads replaced the purple with teal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grey...2M1IQ2yWEwOvM:

DDs walls are the light grey (hard to pick out, this color is a definite winner for us, we just did her bathroom as well with the same color). Furniture is white. She picked this duvet cover from PBTeen and we took the pillow sham to hobby lobby so dd could pick out paints and made 3 large paintings for over her bed out of the same color/pattern over a quote (she's really creative):
    https://www.pbteen.com/products/surf...s&isx=0.0.3200. DD actually keeps her duvet cover flipped the other direction so the lighter color is by her head.

We all love her room now. Good luck!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Talk her into a soft neutral and add lots of bright accessories. It gets really old sleeping in a room that bold!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Her favorite so far is Holiday Turquoise, https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...arColors&p=PS0

Not awful. I will look at the greys and see if I can convince her to go that route though.
    Kris

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agree with the neutral paint color and teal accents- I recently talked DD into this.

Her room currently is a light green- I got it directly from the PBK kids catalog as one of their matching shades for her quilt. It's cute, but it can sometimes feel a little much and now the problem is that her quilt is falling apart, and trying to match new bedding to the wall color is just not working.

I pulled a bunch of light walls with pops of color examples and put together a pinterest board for her. I'd link it but pinterest is not working for me right now. But here is the new bedding she's leaning towards: https://www.pbteen.com/products/lill...-bazaar-quilt/ which the catalog picture shows with pale walls (again PBK-- we searched a lot of other brands but she really liked this quilt best!).

In the meantime we decided to move before I got around to repainting our room (the realtor told me it looked cute and to leave as is!) so we are waiting for the new home to set up the new room.

Since she likes teal you might want to try this blog for inspiration pics: http://houseofturquoise.com/
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How big is the room? Saturated colors can often make a small room feel smaller, but if she's got her heart set on teal, I think that more of a deep aqua could be pretty, like Behr's Calypso Blue.

You can use complementary colors like deep oranges and yellows for accents & accessories and the white furniture will really pop against such a saturated background.

Or, you could just go with white linens and metallics for accessories/accents.

I hadn't thought about applying makeup in a bedroom - I do mine in the bathroom myself! - but I think that a PP made a valid point, especially if you don't intend on repainting when your DD starts wearing makeup.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast