Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Jumanji 2 was fantastic and would be perfect for this age range. Wonder Woman is another good one. We just watched the Sandlot and mine thought it was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm partial to the Lindsay Lohan remake of The Parent Trap and The Princess Diaries for that age - reminds me of what my sister enjoyed then. It's pushing it, but I'm also fond of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, though the language might be a little much for some parents (and the premise of cutting school might not go over well) ... or Legend with pre-Top Gun Tom Cruise and Mia Sara (some scary bits because the Big Bad is Very Scary, so maybe not ... *sigh*)

There's also a new musical remake of Freaky Friday - I saw the Jodie Foster version at a sleepover when I was about that age - but I'm sure the Jamie Lee Curtis/Lindsay Lohan remake would be fine, too.

We also loved The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St Louis ... actually, I text or call her every time the latter is on TV because she's the Tootie to my Esther, but classic films are so hard to gauge for the preteen set. (DD likes them but that's mostly because I've given her very little choice.)

DD was really interested in Hidden Figures, but fell asleep (we started watching it too late for it to really have a connection) before it was over.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    The Greatest Showman!
    I was in a hurry before, but all the girls (grade 4 last year) were singing songs from this movie in the spring. We finally saw it as a family, and we all loved it. Great songs and dancing, nothing objectionable (one song has the word "damn" but it's barely noticeable unless you turn on the sing-along lyrics), good message about family and priorities. Totally historically inaccurate, but fun. DD is 10 1/2 and likes all the same things as your DD (according to Post #1).

Really a good movie to watch over and over because it's very visually appealing. So even those who have seen it likely will enjoy it again.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I have added all these ideas of the list to show my DD (as well as many of them to our list to watch as a family). A couple the kids have seen, but a lot of these are movies I had totally forgotten about and am looking forward to watching with them. And a few of them, none of us have seen.

DD and DS asked to buy Wonder today (we read the book together and then watched it in the theater) - DD mentioned that as a possibility for the sleepover too. What do you think of that option? I think most of the girls have at least read the book, as many of their grade classes read it.

"Wonder" is a great choice. I read it to DDs, they the. Read it in school and we saw the movie.

My suggestion is "Enchanted". It's really entertaining for parents and kids.

And I 2nd "The Greatest Showman". We listen to the soundtrack a lot. I did have to drive home that the film is a fictionalized account. But my kids love it, and I liked it much more than I expected.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I want to add Back to the Future trilogy. My girls love these movies

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Jumanji 2 was fantastic and would be perfect for this age range. Wonder Woman is another good one. We just watched the Sandlot and mine thought it was funny.

Do you mean the new Jumanji? With Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart? That one wasn't a sequel- but, happily, they are making a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Do you mean the new Jumanji? With Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart? That one wasn't a sequel- but, happily, they are making a sequel.
    Yes. That one. Our house calls it Jumanji 2. Haha. Sorry about that

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Big yes to Wonder and the Greatest Showman! My (almost) ten year old girl also loves the Harry Potter movies, Star Wars movies and some of the Marvel movies (less scary ones like Ant Man & Guardians etc.)

BTW, I loved Jumanji! But no one in my family wanted to see it with me. I just watched it in the car on our road trip. DH thought it looked dumb, and I think the girls thought it looked dumb/a little scary (even though they love Marvel movies). I laughed out loud in several parts. Dwayne Johnson was great.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast