Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Cleaning people are there to clean, not organize. Like the others said, they donít know what you want to keep or what to throw. She is putting the stuff in the bowl for you to say ďhey, I didnít know where these things goĒ and assumed you would empty the bowl and put the stuff away. Each week you leave it there, so each week she starts another bowl.

It sounds like you need to declutter first, then bring someone in to organize whatever is left. Break it into small goals. Like ďtoday, I will declutter the kitchen cabinets and drawers on the left side of the kitchenĒ. Then tommorrow, do the right side. Take those items to Goodwill as soon as you pack them. Donít let them sit around piling up. Small goals, like doing the linen closet one day, the kids bathroom cabinets another day, your bedroom closet another day, etc. Itís not as overwhelming that way. Just make sure you are packing the stuff up as you declutter- donít tell yourself youíll do it later because you wonít do it.
    Danni
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dhano923 View Post
    Cleaning people are there to clean, not organize. Like the others said, they donít know what you want to keep or what to throw. She is putting the stuff in the bowl for you to say ďhey, I didnít know where these things goĒ and assumed you would empty the bowl and put the stuff away. Each week you leave it there, so each week she starts another bowl.

It sounds like you need to declutter first, then bring someone in to organize whatever is left. Break it into small goals. Like ďtoday, I will declutter the kitchen cabinets and drawers on the left side of the kitchenĒ. Then tommorrow, do the right side. Take those items to Goodwill as soon as you pack them. Donít let them sit around piling up. Small goals, like doing the linen closet one day, the kids bathroom cabinets another day, your bedroom closet another day, etc. Itís not as overwhelming that way. Just make sure you are packing the stuff up as you declutter- donít tell yourself youíll do it later because you wonít do it.
    Yeah that.
    I also think most cleaning people donít want to be accused of stealing anything so they wonít throw things away. People are weird about what they consider junk vs not.
    Whenever I need to declutter, I gather everything up and dump it on the floor in front of me then binge watch something- kind of my reward for doing the tedious work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovin2shop is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default has anyone used a professional organizer?

I havenít hired a professional organizer, but our nanny takes care of ďstuffĒ on a daily basis now that both kids are in school. She comes a couple hours early each day and takes care of the stuff, plus grocery shopping and dry cleaning. We never expected to still have a nanny after kids were in school full time, but she has proven to be indispensable at keeping our lives in order. So not sure of your current child care situation, but it is so worthwhile to outsource the things that bog you down and end up stealing away valuable family time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lovin2shop; 3 Days Ago at 08:48 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, a huge "yeah that" to cleaning people are for cleaning, not organizing. And yeah, most do not declutter because they don't know what you consider trash or not.

I have a friend who does closet organizing and helps people clean out their closets/offices etc. Does 4 hour blocks where she goes in with one of those clothing rack things and helps you declutter your closet and then hauls it off to a charity. I think she charged $100 for that. I hired her once and it was great -she left with a SUV of our old crap.

i would ask around on NextDoor or something for recommendations. I'm sure someone will know someone.

basil is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I need to hire Krystal...

I canít do it by myself. Iíve tried. And I would rather get a root canal than spend my very limited free time on something like that. I just canít stand it.

I do understand why the cleaning lady does what she does, but itís also annoying when she throws a hair elastic on the kitchen counter and a dirty sock from under the couch and a new electronic in a box sitting on the coffee table into a pile with toys.

We do have a nanny, she contributes to the problem in her current form.

I just need more than a typical cleaning person apparently but I canít figure out if I need two people or one person who can do all.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I need to hire Krystal...

I can’t do it by myself. I’ve tried. And I would rather get a root canal than spend my very limited free time on something like that. I just can’t stand it.

I do understand why the cleaning lady does what she does, but it’s also annoying when she throws a hair elastic on the kitchen counter and a dirty sock from under the couch and a new electronic in a box sitting on the coffee table into a pile with toys.

We do have a nanny, she contributes to the problem in her current form.

I just need more than a typical cleaning person apparently but I can’t figure out if I need two people or one person who can do all.
    I'm going to sound like a fanatic, but I identify really strongly with what you're saying, and I'm telling you that hiring an organizer was totally worth it for me.

DH and I like to joke that we're "second generation slobs," both of us having been raised in messy homes with piles of stuff all over and rooms full of junk. I tend not to see the clutter until it's at a point where I can't ignore it, and then the idea of getting into it is overwhelming. Plus, I hate to clean/neaten -- literally every other possible task comes first before I voluntarily clean anything. I'd try, say, emptying out the linen closet to clean it, but then a kid would need something or it would be time to make dinner and the task never really got finished. And my "donate" pile would sit in the hallway for weeks until eventually it all kind of got mixed in with the laundry and I'd find myself putting it right back into the closet. I remember one time when I walked into our mudroom with the intention of cleaning it, and then turned around and walked right back out again because I couldn't even begin to know where to start. That's when I hired an organizer.

I won't lie, the process wasn't fun (and full disclosure, I'm a SAHM so I had plenty of time to do this). I worked like a DOG for a good 15 days, but the organizer was there every step of the way, keeping me on task and actually physically helping. For example, for that mudroom, she set me up at the kitchen table with boxes, and then started bringing me everything from that room. My only task was to sort -- throw out, donate, keep. Next, we looked at the keep pile, she'd ask me how I used something and where I wanted to be able to find it, and we decided what really needed to be in that room and what needed to be elsewhere. And then she helped me figure out where and how, exactly, everything that lived in that room should be put. She'd leave with all of the trash and donations, and come back next time with the bins/organizers/etc. that I needed to maintain that space according to the plan. But, critically, the sole focus was on how I, personally, wanted to use each space in the house. We worked to find ways that I could keep things neat, not how some hypothetical organized person would.

I could in theory have done all of those tasks myself, but (a) having a second person helping made it much easier, and (b) the organizer helped keep me on task and made sure everything actually got finished. It's a little embarrassing to admit that I don't have that discipline by myself, but I really don't.

I'm still a slob, and I still hate cleaning/decluttering. But over two years later, the systems we set up still work and they're easy enough that, for the most part, I actually use them. The organizer was worth every penny I paid and every moment of the hard work I put in, even if it was a drag at the time.
    DD1 -- 12/05 DD2 -- 2/09 DS -- 8/11

basil is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Anonomom - thatís exactly what I need!! I have tried and failed these projects many times as well, for similar reasons as you.

Where did you find this person?

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Anonomom - that’s exactly what I need!! I have tried and failed these projects many times as well, for similar reasons as you.

Where did you find this person?
    Someone on our local FB page had used her. I'm pretty sure that there is a trade group for professional organizers, though. You may be able to see if they maintain a list of folks in your area.
    DD1 -- 12/05 DD2 -- 2/09 DS -- 8/11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2