Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default has anyone used a professional organizer?

Just before we moved about 3 years ago, we found a great cleaning lady. She wasn't really a cleaning lady, she was the mom of one of the nurses that DH worked with. She and her friend liked to gamble on the riverboat. So she cleaned and organized houses to earn gambling money. She did an awesome job of keeping our house totally organized and clean while we were selling the house. I wish we had found her years earlier. She organized all the closets so everything looked neat, cleaned out the pantry, folded and put away all the laundry, etc.

When we moved here we really never found the right person. We have a cleaning lady every week and she cleans well but doesn't put anything away. Anything left out she puts in these piles and then stuff gets lost and the piles just accumulate week after week. I have a big house and I'm drowning in piles of junk. Combs thrown in with toys and boxes and clean and dirty clothes and everything. She takes a mixing bowl out off the dish drainer and fills it with the stuff left out on the kitchen counter and half of it is trash, then it fills and she gets out another bowl and now I have 4 bowls of junk and no mixing bowls to use.

I'm so frustrated. And I can never ever find anything. The kids have like 4 pairs of sunglasses each because they keep getting lost and then I just buy a new $5 pair. (same with socks and gloves and winter hats, etc.) Obviously this contributes to the clutter.

My DH is no help and contributes to the problem, but I was never a neat organized person before I met him. Ever. I'm a year away from 40 and I'm trying to give myself enough grace to realize this is not my talent and not my strong point and I'm not a worse type of person for it. And this is completely overwhelming, and I have no time.

I feel like I never got a handle on this house when we moved. I didn't have any time off and moved when the kids were 3 and 1. We still have unpacked boxes. I don't think our kitchen was ever organized thoughtfully. I think our pantry is full of expired food.

Has anyone ever overcome this with the help of a professional organizer? Other than the NAPO website, is there a way to find this type of person? Ideally, I would want someone to come and just Put. Stuff. Away. on a recurring basis.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did, about two years ago. It wasn’t exactly what you seem to have in mind — I hired her for a set number of hours and she helped me de clutter and set up systems of organization, but she didn’t put everything away on a recurring basis. It was very hard work, but I recall her saying that she had other clients for whom she did all of the work.

But the best thing about using an organizer was that she helped me get to a point where it was easy for me to put things away. First, because we literally had less stuff (every day when she left, she took all of the trash and donations with her). And second, because she and I actually talked about and thought through how we used the space in my house, and made sure to make systems that i’d actually maintain. And by and large, they were very sustainable.

I found my organizer through our local FB mom’s group, but before that i’d just googled.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd definitely ask on your local moms group. I see this question asked, and answered, quite often. I'd love someone like this!

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    I did, about two years ago. It wasn’t exactly what you seem to have in mind — I hired her for a set number of hours and she helped me de clutter and set up systems of organization, but she didn’t put everything away on a recurring basis. It was very hard work, but I recall her saying that she had other clients for whom she did all of the work.

But the best thing about using an organizer was that she helped me get to a point where it was easy for me to put things away. First, because we literally had less stuff (every day when she left, she took all of the trash and donations with her). And second, because she and I actually talked about and thought through how we used the space in my house, and made sure to make systems that i’d actually maintain. And by and large, they were very sustainable.

I found my organizer through our local FB mom’s group, but before that i’d just googled.
    I have a lady like this coming out on Thursday to give me a quote and assess our place. I want her to help me set up systems I can keep going on my own.
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you need to hire an organizer! The fact that keep buying stuff because you can't find it is my indicator. I have never done this because I hate clutter and try really hard to keep things organized. I would ask around other moms, local facebook pages. I know I have seen numerous ads here and I live in a small town. It's important to have a system and follow it, and get the kids to follow it. My daughter is really organized and it would really stress her out to live in clutter. Perhaps you could take a couple of days off and work with the organizer to get things set up, then have her come over weekly for a while then monthly for maintenance.

Around here, it’s two different types of organization. First one is most commonly used would be one time occurrence or once a year for some families. Just to get a handle on moving boxes away, organizing and putting stuff away then the moms take it over from them.

The other type is what we call house manager and that’s often used by household where both work long hours or/and work travel involved. That person would do all of what you’re asking and to stay on top of it, but she also cleaned houses too.

Sounds like to me; you’re looking for someone who can come to your house regularly to do all of that. Definitely ask among your FB groups, work, and anywhere else locally you can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default has anyone used a professional organizer?

Around here, cleaners don’t put things away. They do the piles as they don’t know where to put it, and they want to clean quickly and get to the next job. Another person may not know what is trash, so they aren’t willing to put it in the trash. “Someone’s trash is someone’s treasure. “ We picked up before cleaner came, so things got put away correctly and it was easier for them to clean house properly. We all hated mad rush to do this night before the cleaner was coming, and it’s one reason why we didn’t get someone after last cleaner moved away.

Wondering if you need 2 people. Someone to help you organize/ set up the rooms the way you want (hear you on this, it’s taken a year since our remodel to get somethings finished). Once the systems are set up, you may not need help. Or if you do, you may need to get a new cleaner and tell them you want more than standard cleaning. You want them to organize/put things away. It’ll cost more as it will take longer, and not everyone is good at organizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-11-2018 at 08:56 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Yes, this is what an organizer does. My best friend, who is already OCD about cleaning, hired an organizer to help her set up a system in one bedroom. She hired her for a set amount of hours with a specific task in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Around here, cleaners don’t put things away. They do the piles as they don’t know where to put it, and they want to clean quickly and get to the next job. Another person may not know what is trash, so they aren’t willing to put it in the trash. “Someone’s trash is someone’s treasure. “ We picked up before cleaner came, so things got put away correctly and it was easier for them to clean house properly. We all hated mad rush to do this night before the cleaner was coming, and it’s one reason why we didn’t get someone after last cleaner moved away. Baby Bargains
    Yes, I have a weekly housekeeper and she doesn't put anything away or do laundry. The morning she comes I spend about 30 minutes making sure stuff is put away, nothing is on the floor, and surfaces are cleared off. I like that I'm forced once a week to make sure everything is picked up. Because of this, our house always looks nice because it's never allowed to get out of control.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do this for people. I started out just cleaning for family and then it expanded from there. Most of my clients only need cleaning, but some once I started cleaning for them and they felt they could trust me they asked me to start organizing, sorting, etc. I have clients that you literally can't open drawers or you will never get them shut again. For example I just cleaned out a bedroom dresser and they had no system at all. Just whatever was in the laundry pile got shoved in a drawer. Along with mail. I threw away receipts/bills that were 10 years old.

I personally wouldn't want someone going through my house to find where things go but some people don't mind. Your current cleaner may not be someone who feels comfortable with this but you might just tell her you would prefer she put things away. I do laundry for people and put things away. If I didn't, I would return the next time and the piles of things I cleaned would still be there! I feel like this isn't helpful to my clients. The first few times it obviously takes me longer to clean because I don't know where things go, but once I get a routine it's not much different from cleaning my own house.

I second others suggestions about asking on your local FB groups. Word of mouth is how most people find me because I don't advertise. I try to keep my client base small because I like to have the flexibility if my kids have things going on. I probably don't charge near enough for my services, but organizing is kind of my passion and I enjoy knowing that it's truly appreciated.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hired one to help me get rid of stuff before we moved. My interior designer also had one of her girls come and organize when we first moved in. It was amazing. I'm probably going to rehire because we still have boxes in the basement from our move and I want to get rid of stuff...plus its time for a toy purge. My kids have outgrown a lot. I really think it's worth it
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast