Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help with learning how to do polished natural looking makeup

I haven't worn makeup regularly since college (20+ years ago). My office is very business casual (with most women either not wearing makeup at all or wearing very minimal natural looking makeup). Yet I'm getting older (42) and feel like I need to look a bit more polished than my normal bare face.

Where do I start? I looked at some YouTube tutorials (tightlining, contouring, eyelid primer, etc. is all new to me!) and even went to Sephora (which I assumed would be better than targeting one makeup brand counter at a department store). I was totally overwhelmed at Sephora, even after the mini-makeover. I bought the Urban Decay Naked palette of eye shadows, but did not like the lip color, blush, or other products.

I *think* I need concealer for under eye puffiness (I'm genetically pre-disposed to bags so I don't even know if makeup will help with this), lip color (lipstick? lip gloss?), and some sort of powder to even out my skin and cover my broken capillaries on my jawline. I am of Asian descent and have monolids (no eyelid crease, as the heavy upper eyelid nearly covers my entire eyelash line when my eyes are open). Thus, I never use eyeliner or mascara as it's futile. I used to use all Mac makeup in college, with a smoky dark gray eyeshadow, Mac StudioFix for light coverage, and a brown/burgundy Mac lipstick but that was for clubbing, not an office.

When I get my makeup done professionally for weddings or our family photo shoots, she always puts fake eyelashes on for me. Yet I know that is not something I'd do daily. I did read about eyelash extensions but am a little nervous about them as I rub my eyes regularly. Are they too high maintenance?

Do I try to return to Sephora and see if a different salesperson would be better? Do I reach out to the makeup artist I used for weddings/family photos to see if she can offer me a makeup lesson? Any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by smiles33; 08-11-2018 at 06:59 PM.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check out Michelle Wang on YouTube. She's a mid-40's woman of Asian descent and does very classy, work appropriate make up. Granted, she uses all very expensive luxury brands but her style might be what you are looking for. You really do just have to start playing around with products to find stuff that works. Hourglass, Dior, Chantecaille, and Laura Mercier are the brands that come to mind for a more professional, grown-up look.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Talk to your hair dresser. Mine does special event make up in addition to hair. I'm no good with you tube videos.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have never had a good makeover or help at Sephora. I think you need to go right to a counter. Chanel is a good place to start. Laura Mercier as well. Although they have a reputation for clubbing etc, I’m a huge fan of makeovers at MAC too.

No matter what I do, I always go back to Laura mercier tightlining and Chanel or Tarte foundation. Mac lust gloss is my fav lip gloss color, as well as beauty counter glosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would go to the counter and go on a Friday night around 6 pm as it will be dead. Always remember that a rep from counter can get you something from another counter.

I love Smashbox 15 hour foundation and they have a million shades, I love Chanel lipsticks but they never seem to keep the same colors all of time so when I need to buy another lipstick in the same shade they have replaced it with something else. I tend to be using a lot of Lancôme, Urban Decay, Clinique, and MAC lipstick, and I am not a huge fan of lipgloss, but I really like Beauty Counter lipgloss. Eyeshadow wise I like Tarte, Stila, NYX, and Urban Decay. Blush wise I like Urban Decay, Tarte, and MAC. My favorite mascara is Guerlain Maxi Lash. I use Urban Decay eye primer, and Tarte makeup primer. Nars makes an awesome concealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following since I'm in this category.

Right now the only things I use are Make Up Forever Ultra HD foundation (which I apply with the $15 Sephora mini-brush which I love), mascara (the tube mascara recommended here), powder eyeliner/eyeshadow from a Paula's Choice kit, and sometimes a TINY bit of the blush, also in that kit. I use a Paula's Choice lipgloss that came with the same makeup kit, and it's the best lip gloss I've ever used!

I feel like I at least need to step up my eye game, and it's definitely harder with asian eyes.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I went through something similar earlier this year (can search my posts on it)..i was never one to wear makeup to work regularly , but I turned 40 this year and I was really noticing how i looked SO MUCH BETTER with makeup on (mainly foundation/concealer, and mascara, blush , brows, etc.

Now i'm at a point where i'm pretty confident in putting it on and how it looks. Honestly I just watched various videos on Youtube and made an effort to wear makeup every day to work..just practice i got better at it. In the beginning it was a pain and would take me a long time - i only wore makeup for special occasions and on weekends now and then. BUt now it only takes me about 15 min in the mornings (and that includes about 5 min of putting on LipSense on which takes a long time).

FOr me, youtube was very helpful. I would make sure that you watch videos geared for women that are 35+ (There are a lot of these), as i quickly realized that many of the "tricks" and techniques that most of the popular beauty bloggers use (almost all who are 20-something) just do NOT work for those 35+ (and in fact even look AWFUL) for women our age. Eg. concealer application and it creasing in fine lines, etc. Once i learned that i quickly understood what techniques to use and I got way better with practice.

Also, for me, most helpful were videos of "top 10 makeup application mistakes" - omg, they were so helpful as they show common newbie mistakes and why they don't work. It was so helpful for me.

For false eyelashes, i can't speak to that since i've never used them. i am not Asian but i don't use eyeshadow or eyeliner regularly because it just takes too much time. THe only thing i wear is mascara, and i'm lucky i have very full and long lashes. I like tube mascara so much now because it doesn't smudge.

the one thing that i found that really really really helps makeup look "put together" is using eye brow pencil/brow powder/brow gel to define the eyebrows - it makes a huge difference!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-12-2018 at 11:19 PM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My sister has the eyelashes done ever 5-6 weeks she rarely uses eyeliner or mascara. The individual lashes are glued on not the strip of eyelashes . She loves hers.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you have access to a makeup artist, that might be a good bet, otherwise, the mini-makeovers at Sephora are pretty good - the artists are willing to listen, and do a pretty good job at getting you what you're asking for.

I have a nudes mini-palette of eyeshadow from Urban Decay, use a Peter Thomas Roth CC cream, They're Real! mascara by benefit, plumping lipstick by Buxom, and a peachy cream blush from smashbox, which were all the result of having my face done at Sephora.

At my Sephora, I have seen makeup lessons advertised and their tutorial videos are quite good too!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Why doesn’t mascara work for you?

I’m not Asian but I have a low lid crease/hooded eyes and not much lid to work with. But mascara makes a big difference and it’s quick. Along with eyebrow shaping and darkening.

My routine for work is pretty much this:
    1) sunscreen/primer: supergoop unseen sunscreen. Love this stuff! Goes on like a primer, protects like a sunscreen.
    2) Bare minerals tinted moisturizer. I have pretty clear skin and freckles that look funny if I cover, so this is light coverage
    3) urban decay concealer under my eyes and in the inner corners. I don’t have bags so much as veins that I cover.
    4) blush. Currently using nars orgasm.
    5) it cosmetics powder. Keeps me from getting shiny.
    6) mascara. Varies.
    7) eyebrows. Anastasia brow pomade stuff.
    This takes about 5 min.
    If I’m feeling fancy I’ll do a really thin line on my upper lid right at the lash line with a liquid liner like stila. Looks less like eyeliner and more like my lashes are thicker.
    The only lip product I really like are fresh sugar glosses. Rose is my favorite and I reapply throughout the day, but I need the moisture.
    HTH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast