Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need a new bed for DD (3.5)... what size to get?

We moved recently, and when DH took apart DD's crib (converted to a toddler bed), he broke it to smithereens. .
    So she's been sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor, and needs a new bed, but I'm not sure what size to get.
    I've been looking on Craig's List for a white wooden toddler bed, but everything I'm finding seems about the same price as new. And that would probably only take us through another year.
    Otherwise I could get her a twin or a full (full is pushing it, but a queen would definitely be too big in her room).
    She'd love bunk beds, but the ceilings in the kids' rooms are angled and wouldn't work for bunks or lofted beds.
    I was also thinking a trundle (twin over twin) bed would be fun; I had one when I was little (a wooden day bed with a bed that slid out and the metal frame popped up so the bed was the same height as the regular bed).

What would be the best use of money? Also, we painted her room a really pretty, very light pink (called Resort Sunrise, I can't remember the brand). Put in a cute white PBK chandelier, and the room has white trim. Unfortunately all of her furniture is mismatched hand-me-downs/ secondhand (cherry-stained pine dresser that was mine from my childhood, oak glider, birch-colored bookshelf for front-facing books).... would you paint it all white and get a white bed? Not sure if white furniture will look too young when she gets to be a teen or tween?

Thanks for your help!

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

White! I would paint existing furniture white and then get a twin with trundle. I love white furniture and I don't think it will ever look too young. My DD has white and it will most likely stay that way until college! What makes it young is the bedding/accessories. I did pay to have someone else paint the beds, but of course you can do it yourself. For DD, since she has the room, we did two twins in her room. For DS we did a twin with trundle. Definitely worth having an additional sleeping space for overnight guests.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Twin. Daybed or trundle are fine.
    I don’t like matchy matchy furniture so wouldn’t make the work for myself to paint furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would get a full if it fits personally. I hate twin beds unless they are necessary. Fine for a 3 year old, but not awesome for a teen (again, it's fine if space requires butI hated it in college. I am pretty tall though).

You could do an upholstered headboard. Could be reupholstered as she got older and liked different colors and wouldn't matter what the other furniture was Otherwise, I'd probably do white or a pale grey for the furniture.

I'd probably do something like this

https://www.potterybarnkids.com/prod....2727355957031
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'd get a full size if the room is big enough. Go ahead and get a decent classic bedroom set that will take her to college.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS has a full and DD has 2 twin beds.
    The full is better but we got the twins (nice brass beds) as hand me downs and I can see the extra coming in handy for cousins, friends, etc sleeping over.

But the full is really nice for laying in bed and reading with the kids. So I would probably go that way if you have the room.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Go with a full, and it's so easy to paint the other furniture white, and then easy to add pieces as needed, just do a nice clean white. If you can, a trundle under the full would give you that extra bed for the sleepovers that will become a part of your life in a few years!

I prefer twin trundles for kids. My DS has a bunk bed with trundle, and DD has a daybed with a trundle. I also like white. You can always repaint when she’s a teen if you want to do something different, but white when she’s young will give you lots of flexibility. The twin trundles are really great for sleepovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

If a queen definitely wouldn’t fit, would you really have room to pull out a trundle under a twin? That would add up to a slightly shorter king. I would go for a full. It is what we moved my son into when we moved him from his toddler bed, and I love it now for laying in bed and reading, and I know he will appreciate the extra space later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

We have room for larger, but I like twin beds for kids so there is room to play if they need their own space outside of the play area. They have lego tables that roll out from under the bed now (so not trundle, but the option) so it is great for that. But I am fine updating kids' room when they get older because that was a big deal for me at that age so I do not feel the need to buy things for toddler age that last will last until adulthood. If I wasn't, I would go full or larger.

I would repaint. Not sure that I would do white

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast