Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Help with menu plan

We are going on vacation with another family in a few months and are all staying in a rental house together. I am struggling to come up with meal ideas for dinner because of our different dietary preferences. They are typical 'meat and potatoes' people, I am vegan, DH avoids dairy, gluten and meat except chicken and fish. All I can think of is a taco bar, but I need more ideas. Please share your thoughts, TIA!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Baked potato, soup, salad

Honestly though, I would just cook separate meals.

Would it be easier if every family cook what they like and just have a meal together?

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Last month we did taco bar, pasta bar (chick pea and regular pasta plus turkey meatballs) and fish on the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Kindra- where’s your post asking for ideas? I’m on my phone so not easy to search/ link. I meant to save it because there were some new, good ideas on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are they aware of your dietary needs, honestly I'd do separate main meals, we are meat, fish eaters and wouldn't want to eat vegan, non dairy on vacation, that's when we really enjoy eating whar we want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Are they aware of your dietary needs, honestly I'd do separate main meals, we are meat, fish eaters and wouldn't want to eat vegan, non dairy on vacation, that's when we really enjoy eating whar we want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    They are aware and of course I wouldn't expect them to eat vegan on their vacation. That's why I am asking for advice. My thinking with a taco bar is there could be meat, cheese, beans, rice, ect and everyone could eat what they want. I guess I am looking for ideas like that.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    They are aware and of course I wouldn't expect them to eat vegan on their vacation. That's why I am asking for advice. My thinking with a taco bar is there could be meat, cheese, beans, rice, ect and everyone could eat what they want. I guess I am looking for ideas like that.

How long will you be on vacation? Can you do a mix of approaches? Like 2 nights of something like taco bar that could work for everyone, 2 nights eating out, 1-2 nights where you each make your own entrees and make a big salad to go with it, and 1-2 nights of leftovers?
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hmmn, the only other things I can think of is some kind of pasta bar (including gluten free and other kinds of pasta) and, depending on if you are okay with the foods getting mixed while they are grilling, burgers including vegan and meat-based....tofu dogs and hot dogs, things like that. Also, possibly make your own salads..with lots of fixings?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I would suggest not trying to meal plan unless they want to do it. I would not enjoy that limited of choices and cooking for a family on vacation with such limits. One meal, fine, but the rest, I would rather not have the pressure and just cook things I know my kids love. It seems like more stress for everyone than just each worrying about your own families and then dining together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast