Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I would suggest not trying to meal plan unless they want to do it. I would not enjoy that limited of choices and cooking for a family on vacation with such limits. One meal, fine, but the rest, I would rather not have the pressure and just cook things I know my kids love. It seems like more stress for everyone than just each worrying about your own families and then dining together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, but they want to

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Not being a vegan myself and not having any food restrictions, It would help me (if I was your friend) for you to think of things you like to eat or make for large dinners and then they can think if they like that or how to supplement. My concern is that I wouldn’t know what to feed you guys and would miss an ingredient. Like pasta is easy and great but the gluten issue bit could do gluten free or alternative like spaghetti squash. I think lots of grilled or roasted veggies or a good vegetarian or chicken chili (they can add cheese or sour cream if they want) would be good. Chicken tortilla soup with avocado (not vegan, I think you have to be somewhat on your own for that), sautéed portobello mushrooms or grilled, etc. My kids love mushrooms but husband no way. Since you have the more limited diet let them know some ideas. I have no problem eating vegetarian when I have a great chef to prepare it but for my everyday life, I just am not as creative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This is Kindra's thread I referred to earlier. Might be some ideas you can work with http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...up-on-Vacation

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was a vegetarian for a long time. IMO there's a lot of options. Alternating with eating out!

Pasta bar with veggie and meat sauce. Some of the brown rice pastas are OK for GF.

Different kinds of Soups and salads

Baked potato bar

Grilling - chicken or burgers, vegetables, veggie burgers

Veggie and meat enchiladas

I'm the one in my family with a lot of food considerations; GF, diary free and and fish mostly with some lean proteins. If it's a week long rental, I would definitely propose two nights being responsible for the meals, two nights on the other family leaving you with 2-3 nights to eat out.

On vacations, I enjoy eating out and trying new places but that is me though. I figure we're already out of our regular routine by vacationing and no way would I want to cook every night away as well. I don't mind one or two evenings or lunch, but it isn't definitely the bulk of my trip to cook most nights in.

I would do squash lasagna as it goes over well with meat and non meat eaters, do a potato bar, and grilled fish with vegetables to be grilled too.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Thanks for all the great idea. I feel like I can have something to offer when we get together to plan the meals. Lunch will definitely be out, but we figured we would cook dinner to help a little with the costs. The wife really loves to cook and feed people, lol. She won't want to do separate meals. I, of course, will help with the meal prep. Also, it's only 4 dinners, so with all the great ideas, I think we can come up with something everyone is happy with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A Greek/Mediterranean meal comes to mind, gyro meat and/or chicken souvlaki (or chicken shawarma especially if there is a Trader Joe's nearby), pitas (find something similar that is gluten-free for DH), falafel, Greek potatoes, dolmas, tzatziki sauce, big Greek salad with feta on the side. Most of that is easy to find pre-prepared or in meal kits.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 08-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could do Asian stir fry with different add ins. Thai lettuce wraps and fresh spring rolls are also good
    Sandwich night or paninis or wraps. You could do a mix veggie or meat. with a nice chilled soup.
    BBQ with burgers and vegan burgers. Sides could be easy (salad, corn on cob)
    I think if you kept a lot of fruits/veggies/hummus/bean dip and put them out as an appetizer tray before a meal it would help a lot. That way you could have them eat more meat and you do more veggie stuff.
    You could do lentil sloppy joes and a regular sloppy joes.
    Grilled kabobs. Some with meat, some with veggies, may some seafood.
    Whatever you do make the prep fairly straightforward so everyone can help.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think grilling would be a great option - burgers, grilled chicken, corn, portabellos, zucchini, hot dogs (regular and vegan), chicken sausages, onions and peppers, etc. Could make a potato salad as a side. Also, what about a night with a big salad with grilled steak or chicken to put on top? Could have quinoa to put in, chickpeas, feta on the side, lots of crunchy veggies, corn, avocado, cherry tomatoes, croutons or garlic bread (or bruschetta) on the side, maybe baked potatoes. Yummy homemade dressing.
    Homemade pesto on pasta or zucchini noodles, with cherry tomatoes and a salad on the side. Or a homemade tomato sauce with the option of putting in chicken sausages for the meat eaters.
    A teriyaki stir fry over rice, with the meat as an option for those who want it.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2