Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Treadmills- how much for a decent one? or other things to buy?

Dh has $800 to spend through his health benefits on fitness stuff and we thought maybe a treadmill would be good. I know $800 won't buy a great one though so wondering how much it takes to buy a nice one? He found this one on sale for $800 but I am skeptical. I'm used to gym quality ones and all home gym ones I have used have been crappy. https://www.nordictrack.com/treadmil...yABEgJKrfD_BwE

If you have any recommendations- or ones to avoid- can you share?

eta- any other ideas for how to spend the $? He has a shoulder injury which has kept him from a lot of things he could do (he had to stop his martial arts, for example). We're just blanking on ideas and don't want to forfeit the $.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 08-17-2018 at 03:49 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Treadmills- how much for a decent one? or other things to buy?

I have a Landice. We’ve had it 11 or more years. We use it twice a day almost daily. I can get the model later but I’m sure it’s been updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sole Fitness makes great treadmills and they have excellent warranties on them. Not sure of cost, but definitely check them out. We've had our treadmill for years and it's still in great shape.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check out Costco or Costco.com. They had specials recently on treadmills (not sure if still on promotion) and great return policy (though returning a treadmill would prob be horrendous). We got ours from there about 7 years ago, and it's still going strong. Ours is Nordictrack.

Quote Originally Posted by willow33 View Post
    Sole Fitness makes great treadmills and they have excellent warranties on them. Not sure of cost, but definitely check them out. We've had our treadmill for years and it's still in great shape.
    We have a Sole elliptical that we bought used on craigslist a few years ago and we have been very happy with it. It needed some maintenance last year (new rollers and a couple of other parts that had worn out) and their customer service was amazing at working with us to figure out what parts we needed, and even called a week or so after the parts got here to see how we were doing with the replacement.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

TRX, free weights, 10-12 sessions of private Pilates instruction.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have this one and it's been great (more than 5 years but I can't remember exactly when I got it). It is used daily between DH and I, and my oldest has started using it too.

https://www.soletreadmills.com/tread...IaAoSsEALw_wcB
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

I have a Nordictrack and am happy with in, but I mainly walk on it, I believe it cost around $1000, on a Black Friday sale. If you want to use for running, I think you need to spend more. There are a good amount of reviews on the various online versions of running/fitness magazines.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Dh has $800 to spend through his health benefits on fitness stuff and we thought maybe a treadmill would be good. I know $800 won't buy a great one though so wondering how much it takes to buy a nice one? He found this one on sale for $800 but I am skeptical. I'm used to gym quality ones and all home gym ones I have used have been crappy. https://www.nordictrack.com/treadmil...yABEgJKrfD_BwE

If you have any recommendations- or ones to avoid- can you share?

eta- any other ideas for how to spend the $? He has a shoulder injury which has kept him from a lot of things he could do (he had to stop his martial arts, for example). We're just blanking on ideas and don't want to forfeit the $.
    I doubt that it's gym quality, but I wouldn't assume that it's garbage. I bought a Nordictrack in July 2000 and still use it daily. For the first ten years, I ran a minimum of three miles a day on it. Then I went through a spell with knee/feet issues where it sat unused. When I resumed using it, I was afraid it would have problems, but it started right up without issue. I still use it daily and still do at least three miles a day, but due to my feet problems, I am mainly walking on it these days. I have never needed to have it serviced, so I can't speak to the company's customer service. I am thrilled with it's longevity. I will say that I am the only one in our house that uses it, and I am very slim, so I don't know how it would hold up to daily use by someone who is heavier. It is not gym quality, but it is much, much nicer than many home treadmills that I have seen. I am tall and chose a model with extended length, and I think that was crucial to my satisfaction with it. So many of the non-commercial treadmills are just too short for a longer stride.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought this NordicTrack 18 months ago and love it https://www.nordictrack.com/treadmil...1750-treadmill. It’s extremely sturdy and is truly commercial quality. We previously had a gym treadmill (Life Fitness) and the NordicTrack 1750 is just as good for the 2 of us who use it regularly.

ETA: I just remembered that when I was buying I found a discount code on one of the runner review websites that I was able to use on the NordicTrack website. I just checked retailmenot and they have active codes for NT right now so check that as well as do some google searches for codes if you decide to buy NT.
    Last edited by 3isEnough; 08-18-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast