NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Facebook frustration—any suggestions?

Unlike many people, I use FB to keep in touch with mostly extended family and a couple former students. I’ve noticed recently that FB has gotten much more aggressive with lists of "People You May Know." In the past these were mostly either friends of friends or had some obvious possible connection (e.g., worked or studied in the same place). Now, most are totally random people from all over the world! "Suggested Groups" are similarly random, but at least with those, you can flag them as "not relevant" or offensive, etc.

From what I’ve been able to Google, there is no easy way to reduce the number of these, especially the People You May Know. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don't know if you can do much more than ignore those suggestions.
    I have my friend requests set so only friends of friends can send me requests. So, I only see people that have at least one person in common. As my network has gotten bigger, those suggestions are pretty random but at least there's a commonality.

Default Facebook frustration—any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don't know if you can do much more than ignore those suggestions.
    I have my friend requests set so only friends of friends can send me requests. So, I only see people that have at least one person in common. As my network has gotten bigger, those suggestions are pretty random but at least there's a commonality.
    I’ve also got my friend request settings to "friends of friends." To clarify: when you say that you only see people that have at least one person in common, do you mean that you only get friend requests from them, or that your People You May Know list only includes them? (I’d be happy if I could limit the PYMK list to friends of friends!)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    I’ve also got my friend request settings to "friends of friends." To clarify: when you say that you only see people that have at least one person in common, do you mean that you only get friend requests from them, or that your People You May Know list only includes them? (I’d be happy if I could limit the PYMK list to friends of friends!)

Yes, it’s only the PYMK stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yes, it’s only the PYMK stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, that’s frustrating! There must be some other obscure setting that controls this, because we both have our friend request settings limited to friends of friends. Oh well, guess I’ll just (try to!) ignore all those random half-dressed people from other parts of the world. No, FB, I *don't* know them!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get these annoying phone drop down notifications that "suggest a friend" and it bugs the heck out of me. I don't want friend suggestion notifications on my phone. I want FB notifications (for other things), but not for a friend suggestion. I still can't get rid of these, even though I went through the instructions.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)