acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Mother Daughter NYC Trip?

Considering a last minute, quick NYC trip with DD over Labor Day weekend as her 10th bday gift. We would only be there overnight - would drive there on Sunday am and stay til Mon pm. We would do a part of Monday at the US Open tennis tournament and possibly see a show Sunday night?

Any recommendations of where to stay, how to get around or activities/restaurants?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Mother Daughter NYC Trip?

I dislike Times Square as I’d rather be in a neighborhood with residents. We stayed cheaply at the Pod on E 52nd and it was fine. Washington Square Hotel was recommended by several friends. We’ve stayed at other ok hotels but none I’d rave enough about to suggest.
    We love the Met
    Other ideas:
    Central Park
    Chelsea Market
    Top of the Rock (schedule about 1 hour before sunset!)
    Bloomingdales or stroll 5th Ave from Rockefeller Center to Central Park
    See the SOL from Battery Park and ride the pretty carousel there
    Grand Central Station (good alternative lodging area too)

If you don’t have Shake Shacks, they’re a fun lunch option. Order in the app and bypass the (usually massive) line.

Subway or foot power all the way to get around. We took a few taxis but prefer the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 9 and 12 year olds loved watching Wicked when we were in NYC this past July, so I might suggest that. I also saw that Harry Potter is playing (if she's a fan). We stayed with friends (who have 4 younger boys) so we didn't do some girly stuff I would love to do if it had just been DDs and me, like going to afternoon tea (maybe at the Plaza Hotel?), going window shopping on 5th Ave., and strolling the Met.

Have a great time!