Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is what I only run on trails. Got a knee injury when I was 25 from over use--started using an orthotic and that really saved me. And then when I was in my early 30s I switched to trail running only. It makes a huge difference. Your foot never hits the trail the same way twice so there isn't so much repetition. I tore my hamstring a few years ago and had to really rehab it. I can now run on all sort of surfaces and up/down hill. But I have to stop every 10-15 minutes to give it a break for a minute and then get going again. I found that strengthening your hips actually has the biggest impact on your knees. I have worked very closely with a physical therapist the last few years. And I do run only 1-2 days a week. The other days are swimming and biking--that helps a great deal as well. Good luck!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wrecked my knees when I was running, literally a week after I turned 40, my knee blew up to a size of a football. They wanted me to get surgery, I refused, had to basically let my knee rest for a year, now I don't do anything higher impact than walking. It sucks, I wish I would have started running when I was much younger so I could have gotten better at it to avoid some of these issues. And yes, listen to your body, after my knee injury, I'm so scared to re-injure again, as soon as I feel as if I've slightly tweaked my knee, I back of drastically to let it rest.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2