Thread: Ireland?

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Ireland?

My daughter will be studying in Ireland (Cork) for the fall semester. I'm hoping I can get there for a 5-day or so trip. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to see and do that are "can't miss"? Here is some things I'm interested in:

Cork - Blarney Stone, English Market
    Dublin - St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grafton Street, Trinity College/Book of Kells, Old Jameson Distillery, Guinness

I'd love to get to Dingle where it looks as if there is a crystal company and a lovely jewelry designer.

Rock of Cashel

I don't need to see scenic landscapes or parks or zoos or gardens.

Any suggestions or tips for things to see and do? Also, what would be a uniquely Irish souvenir?
    H-
    DD 1998
    DS 2004
    DD 2005

We had a great time in Dublin and surrounding countryside. Book of Kells, Archrology museum, the Gaol, St Patrick’s cathedral, National Art museum. The distillery and brewery are not recommended—wayyyy too touristy. New Grange which is North of Dublin is truly amazing. Buy a guidebook and do some research-lots of great places
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ireland?

We visited for 5 days in July. We skipped Dublin and went straight to Killarney. Killarney is a great town! Close to Ring of Kerry. We passed on ROK because it would have been 2 days of driving (my kids were done) so we opted for just checking out the Gap of Dunloe (Kate Kearney’s Cottage was a great little restaurant) and then Dingle Peninsula. It was breathtaking!! The town of Dingle was sizable yet adorable and there were towns closer to the tip of the peninsula that just spoke Gaelic...loved that! While in Killarney, we visited the Muckross estate in the National Park and also booked a falconry experience with Killarney Falconry... soooo cool!! We visited Cliffs of Moher on a rainy day so it was kind of meh for the distance it took to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SASM; 08-26-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

I’m from Dublin and totally would skip the Guinness and whiskey distillery. 5 days isn’t a lot of time. Book of Kells is a must in Dublin.

Are you planning on renting a car? Cork is beautiful but the outer Cork further into the waters is breathtaking. Dingle is a must to visit. You can drive from Cork to Dingle along the coastal route.

Driving takes a lot more time than you always think in Ireland. Especially from Cork to West of Ireland routes, as roads are much more narrower than you’re used to Stateside. PM me for more info if you’d like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14