Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd be irritated too! At my school, students can only pay cash for a snack. They can not use their account or any money in the account. Kinder (and TK) students do not even have the option to go to the cafeteria for snack. I will say that the first week of kinder, students have a hard time just eating a snack and not their lunch at snack time. Even though we tell them they will have lunch in an hour they eat too much at snack time. I only let them take out a snack when they go out to recess, but there are times what looks like a snack to me (a yogurt container), was actually their lunch, and then they have to get cafeteria food for lunch. It's a learning process! The cafeteria will not let any student go hungry at lunch, and will let a child charge a lunch if they do not have money in their account.

Re: your concern about not being there to separate your DD’s snack...what I did was designate a specific pocket the “snack pocket” and show my DDs where it was. They had no problems remembering, and they are forgetful by nature.

And yes, I’d be annoyed. A cinnamon roll is a treat, not a snack.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Default The $2 cinnamon roll

I would not be irritated or upset at all with a cinnamon roll on the first day of school for a modest $2. If I didn’t want it happening long term for whatever reason, I would just contact the school and have it noted that no snacks please. But irritated, nope, not a big deal and easily solved I bet. I put unhealthy small desserts the first couple of days for a treat at the start of school - Oreos - something we rarely buy. Just let the school know and don’t overthink it. It is a cinnamon roll not a rock star soda - something I would find irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khm is online now Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Is TK like pre-K? If so, yes, I'd be annoyed. That's too young for the parents not to at least be forewarned. If she hadn't told you about it, she could have chugged along daily and racked up quite a bill / used her months' worth of lunch account money in a week or whatever. Two dollars a day has no meaning to a 5 year old, she could have easily chewed up $20 in a couple weeks, $20 of sugary goodness for a 5 year old is a lot!

In our school, the little grades aren't allowed a la carte stuff. In early middle school, they are allowed for certain things only (like extra entree, I think, I can't exactly remember but it was limited in some way), it can be turned off if it is a problem. After that, its between parent and kid, I believe.

My kids were buying waters in middle school, which I didn't realize until they ran their entire lunch account dry. I was ticked (at them) because their schools have those fancy water refilling stations and we have dozens upon dozens of reusable water bottles. It wasn't on my radar that they were buying WATER, but it should have been I guess!

My son buys breakfast sometimes, and even though he just ate breakfast at home, I'm (generally) ok with that. I figure it is just a friend / killing time thing.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I would not be irritated or upset at all with a cinnamon roll on the first day of school for a modest $2. If I didn’t want it happening long term for whatever reason, I would just contact the school and have it noted that no snacks please. But irritated, nope, not a big deal and easily solved I bet. I put unhealthy small desserts the first couple of days for a treat at the start of school - Oreos - something we rarely buy. Just let the school know and don’t overthink it. It is a cinnamon roll not a rock star soda - something I would find irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd be significantly less irritated if she was GIVEN a cinnamon roll but she was SOLD a cinnamon roll and she's 4. She's too young to be given that much responsibility in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I'd be significantly less irritated if she was GIVEN a cinnamon roll but she was SOLD a cinnamon roll and she's 4. She's too young to be given that much responsibility in my opinion.
    I completely agree with you. 4 year olds love treats and have bad judgment and don’t know how to manage money. They should not have the opportunity to buy snacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Is TK like pre-K? If so, yes, I'd be annoyed. That's too young for the parents not to at least be forewarned. If she hadn't told you about it, she could have chugged along daily and racked up quite a bill / used her months' worth of lunch account money in a week or whatever. Two dollars a day has no meaning to a 5 year old, she could have easily chewed up $20 in a couple weeks, $20 of sugary goodness for a 5 year old is a lot!

In our school, the little grades aren't allowed a la carte stuff. In early middle school, they are allowed for certain things only (like extra entree, I think, I can't exactly remember but it was limited in some way), it can be turned off if it is a problem. After that, its between parent and kid, I believe.

My kids were buying waters in middle school, which I didn't realize until they ran their entire lunch account dry. I was ticked (at them) because their schools have those fancy water refilling stations and we have dozens upon dozens of reusable water bottles. It wasn't on my radar that they were buying WATER, but it should have been I guess!

My son buys breakfast sometimes, and even though he just ate breakfast at home, I'm (generally) ok with that. I figure it is just a friend / killing time thing.
    Its kind of more like Kindergarten but for kids that are just slightly too young for K.

I talked to the office and told them to cut her off from being able to buy stuff at the cafeteria, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I completely agree with you. 4 year olds love treats and have bad judgment and don’t know how to manage money. They should not have the opportunity to buy snacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Honestly I'd probably roll my eyes but would also be pretty much ok if a parent or teacher collected $2 from each of us for a morning cinnamon roll for the kids occasionally. I just don't like DD being able to make that decision independently.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default The $2 cinnamon roll

I’m in the “it’s annoying but not a huge deal” camp in scheme of school. Tell her she can’t buy snacks, tell the teacher and find out how to let cafeteria staff know she can’t buy things. Cut her off now and revisit when she gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I would not want my 4yo buying a $2 snack everyday. Esp if it's junk food like a cinnamon roll. I am on Team biscous here, LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast