pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default VRBO type rental in LA area

My sister and I (and our families of 4 boys, 2 husbands and one grandfather) are going to Burbank area after Christmas for a few days to allow our elderly father to see his niece and her kids whom he has not seen in 12 years. We would need a few hotel rooms, and thus were looking at vacation rental homes. I do not know the different cities of LA very well, so am reaching out for some advice. I have driven around LA area and know Google Maps distances are not always the most accurate.
    My cousin is in Burbank, we are flying into Burbank. Will probably also go to Universal for a day. We found something in Altadena, but they want a full week because of the Rose Bowl (we leave 12/30, so I was open to Pasadena since we would be gone by the actual parade day) We would not be going to the beach, would possibly go to Hollywood area if there is interest from the kids.

We need 4 bedrooms, would be nice if one room could sleep all 4 boys (8-13) and a safe neighborhood for our cars. I found a place in Sylmar, and another in Northridge/Granada Hills border. A friend from Woodland Hills immediately ruled out Sylmar for us. We do have reservations at the Residence Inn to fall back on, but like the idea of a house so the boys are not running hotel halls.
    Our budget is around $1800 all in, so looks like around $350/night before fees.

Any recommendations either for a rental you know of, or a neighborhood/city that would be close enough?
    mom to Billy 12/07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Be careful and do your research. Many places in CA are cracking down on short term rentals. Have a plan b in case what you pick falls through at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you'll mostly be around Burbank/Universal I'd look in Burbank, Glendale, Hollywood Hills, Toluca Lake, Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Pasadena. I wouldn't go much further than those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Be careful and do your research. Many places in CA are cracking down on short term rentals. Have a plan b in case what you pick falls through at the last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    If you'll mostly be around Burbank/Universal I'd look in Burbank, Glendale, Hollywood Hills, Toluca Lake, Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Pasadena. I wouldn't go much further than those areas.
    Thank you both. Those are about the places I figured. Just hard to know which way traffic flows, and what has hills that make distances longer than they look.
    mom to Billy 12/07

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Yes to this! I'm in Sherman Oaks. Encino would work too and borders Sherman Oaks. North Hollywood also.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Thank you both. Those are about the places I figured. Just hard to know which way traffic flows, and what has hills that make distances longer than they look.
    Traffic flows all ways and sucks everywhere!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I live in Granada Hills, and my inlaws live in Burbank. The drive isn’t that bad, but I wouldn’t want to be any father than that.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I live in Granada Hills, and my inlaws live in Burbank. The drive isn’t that bad, but I wouldn’t want to be any father than that.
    Those cities listed are great. I found a couple in Northridge/Granada Hills, and one in Sherman Oaks. So now to ask the owner some questions and get something booked.
    Thank you all for your help. I knew we had a large contingent from the LA area, so was hoping I could get my questions answered!
    mom to Billy 12/07