Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Why am I on the PTA?

It's only two weeks into the school year and I'm already frustrated!

Our PTA board is full of lovely, kind, well-meaning people who are committed to the PTA and to our school, and they're driving me nuts! We (the four of us) are doing WAY too much work and way too little to recruit other helpers. We had endless discussions last year about how this situation is not sustainable and that we needed to focus on recruiting even it it meant letting some other things go, but every time I suggest actually doing things differently, I get pushback. Nobody (except me) is willing to let any balls drop and I keep hearing that "it takes too long to train someone, so I'll just do it." Which would be fine, except that the expectation is that we will work as a team to cover every single thing, and it's bad form not to pitch in. So we all end up overextended and cranky, and nobody (including me) has the time or energy that we need to put into recruiting. It's not a healthy or productive dynamic.

I like these ladies, I really do. But I think I'm either going to need to quit the PTA entirely, or take over as President next year to actually see meaningful change get made. At this point, I'm honestly not sure which is the better option.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel for you. Come serve on my board! I cancel almost anything we don’t get a chairperson for and believe strongly in building a sustainable organization. I never wanted the President job but took it because no one else would so I refuse to be so self-sacrificing. I know no one will step up before my DD leaves the school in 2 years so I have to make it doable for me and my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Send out the word that you need someone to Chair X or it will be cancelled. Also, think co-chairs...

DC is involved in an organization that kept sending out that they needed a Chair for a piece of a big event. I thought about it, spoke with them about how I would love to help out, but did not want to be "in charge" (for reasons everyone knew and understood). We have a real desire to give back to this organization, so I wanted to do "my part". I ended up "in charge" until I literally drafted someone who happened to walk in while I was trying to figure it all out. It worked out perfectly. I did all the planning, putting together, ect. before the event and she was a champion at the instant decision making during the event and at keeping it all running smoothly. We have agreed to do it again next year TOGETHER! So think Co-Chairs!

People are so overwhelmed, to take on something else is daunting. You need to find that "I'm thinking about it, but don't know..." contingent and pair them up !

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know this is BP but what channels are you using to recruit volunteers?
    I'd be in your same shoes though- out or all the way in. I don't do well not getting final say sometimes.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Keep pushing. Ours has made it clear they don't really want help by acting the way your group is. And this year, there's one person left on the board because everyone else's kids moved up. So there's one person who is stuck with no help because all of us who have offered/tried in the past have been rebuffed so many times, we really don't want to stick our necks out again. That and the fact that they insist on all real work meetings be held during the school day which means only SAHMs can attend.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Keep pushing. Ours has made it clear they don't really want help by acting the way your group is. And this year, there's one person left on the board because everyone else's kids moved up. So there's one person who is stuck with no help because all of us who have offered/tried in the past have been rebuffed so many times, we really don't want to stick our necks out again. That and the fact that they insist on all real work meetings be held during the school day which means only SAHMs can attend.
    This is my kids’ school! I would love to be on the PTA and help with events, but they only hold meetings at 9 am, and all events are during school hours. I’m a teacher at a different school, so I can’t attend any meetings or events. A huge portion of the parents are left out because only stay at home parents are able to attend and help out.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    This is my kids’ school! I would love to be on the PTA and help with events, but they only hold meetings at 9 am, and all events are during school hours. I’m a teacher at a different school, so I can’t attend any meetings or events. A huge portion of the parents are left out because only stay at home parents are able to attend and help out.
    That’s ridiculous. Don’t people complain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry. You've shared your experiences before and it sounds like a miserable group.

Are you getting resistance from just the PTA pres. or the other 2 as well? Because I honestly do not think having the title of PTA president will suddenly stop the resistance if it is from the others as well. So for that reason ...

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Keep pushing.

Push back harder now. You'll have to do it as pres too, so might as well start now.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, all.

Pushback is pretty much across the board — everyone says they’re ok with the idea of threatening not to move forward with events/programs that don’t have chairs, but then they back off when it comes time actually to do it. The reasoning is that letting anything we do drop “hurts the kids,” and they’d rather do the work themselves then let the kids get hurt. (IMO, the kids are barely aware of what we do and nobody’s getting hurt if we don’t do spirit nights or a family fun night).

I’m the only person on our board who definitely can come back next year. One is graduating out, another might need to transfer, and the third will have done her maximum years in her current board position and doesn’t want to move to a different position.

So far, I got all of last year’s committee chairs to write job descriptions with estimated time commitments for what they do. I created a list of open positions and ranked them into red/yellow/green categories according to what was in danger of not getting done this year (Snuggle Bunnies, I think that was your suggestion). This list went home with every kid in school and is included in our weekly newsletter. I also made a list of committees with chairs who will be graduating out so we can find them shadows this year. And i’m trying to put together a “pta job fair” where people can come learn about various volunteer needs. I just need the others on the board to help out, to join in active recruiting, and to be able to let go of doing everything.
    Last edited by anonomom; 09-09-2018 at 10:40 PM.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sometimes you can get someone to commit to finding/recruiting more board members - because recruiting is temporary, people will take that on when they can’t take a larger role.

What about delegating the recruitment of help? Sounds like you have all you need to hand the job off.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast