Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I measured her at home and we got bras at Aerie. Mail ordered a huge pile and tried them on at home. She is shy and would have hated getting fitted at a store. Aerie bras are surprisingly good and reasonable if you work the sales and use a card- you get a free one after buying 5 I think.

My daughters love Aerie! It's definitely a good place for teens. And their marketing strategy is to not airbrush or photoshop their models, which I like.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you are measuring at home, the A Bra that Fits reddit has a good beginner's guide. There's even a size calculator, and down the page there is a guide to check if your bra fits the way it's supposed to.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    My daughters love Aerie! It's definitely a good place for teens. And their marketing strategy is to not airbrush or photoshop their models, which I like.
    YES!!!! They use real women for some of their models, esp lately. I'd love to see more, and at AE, too. Heck, I'd love to see that strategy at the places I shop.

I think that the other advantage to Aerie is that the bra style tend to work well with teen clothes (not quite an issue for you yet, perhaps?). But many, many dresses/tops are cut in such a way that bits of bra will show. Some of the lace-back bras are meant to be ok to catch a glimpse of.

DD tends to dress more modestly, but still has a couple dresses that need a bra that shows in the back.

The bralets are also good transition bras - more comfy than many bras (watch for itchy lace), but more support than most training bras.

DD still wears the half Cami style but we’ll need to soon. When we do I will measure her myself per A Bra That Fits Reddit and depending on size will try Aerie. I am a 28 or 30 D and they are the only place I can find bras that aren’t $60 each! They carry small band sizes and are well made.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought DD's first several bras at Justice. They had a lot of choices that were comfortable and age appropriate for her. Now DD is 14 and more developed than me. I plan to take both of us to be fitted as soon as we have free - girl time.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When DD was first in 'cup sizes' I brought a few home from Kohls that were stretchy/multisized, but still cup sized. They worked great when she was an A/B - remember that tweens and early teens really don't need much support, which makes it much easier.

As she grew more, took her to Nordstrom to be fitted - she was initially a 30DD and now between a 30DD and 32DD. For 'real bras' we buy at Nordstrom, although she still wears Target sports bras to school. Benefit of Nordstrom is that they even have strapless that fits well/stays up. As others have said - not inexpensive but she has one tan, one black, and one strapless that will last (assuming she's done growing, which is 95%+ sure to be the case.)

If she wants to wear 'real bras' more often I'll start looking at Nordstrom Rack - several have told me that they often have these sizes at less than full retail.

On a side note - DH never complains about the cost of DD's clothes. He happened to be with us the first time we bought real bras and almost fell over. I shot him a look that might have killed, and explained later that she will always have to buy expensive ones because of the size. He hasn't mentioned it again

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default When did your DD need a true cup sized bra, and where did you get it?

Here is the first update.

I measured her using the Reddit link and she measured a 28A, which is a non existent size to find in an appropriate bra (The Little Bra Company has some nice lacy ones, but we aren’t going there....) so I prayed that a 30A from Aerie would fit because that is their smallest size.

The sales person who helped us at Aerie was amazing and made Dd1 feel comfortable. She brought out a bunch of bras for her to try in a 30A (only sold online, but they keep samples in the store for trying), and we found a few sports bra styles in store in an XS that fit and all of the cup size ones she wanted we tried to order in store and the store said they were out of stock or they weren’t made in a 30A. So when I got home I looked them up online and found one online that the store said didn’t come in her size, plus another 30A style she didn’t try on in store.

Other than the sports bra/bralettes she preferred bras with an underwire which really surprised me, but they didn’t push up, it was just a simple wire.

Here is what we bought in store:
    Real Me Bralette
    Wildflower Lace Racerback bralette
    Chill Cotton Bralette

What I ordered in both a 30A or a 32AA:
    Real Me Unlined bra (this one she really liked in the store in the 32A, but there was a little too much space in the cup so I ordered the 30A)
    Real Happy Wireless bra (smallest size is a 32AA)
    Real Happy Full Coverage lined bra

FWIW: I hate how the Aerie website is set up....each bra color has their own link vs. all being sorted by the bra and then selecting the color once in the link. Pluses though 2% Ebates, and my order has already shipped this AM!

FWIW 2: I wore the Playtex Thankgoodness It Fits from the time I was 12 or 13 until I was 18 ....they were the best bra and I am so sad that they no longer make them. I looked online at Kohl’s, and JC Penney and I couldn’t find any sized bra that started at a 30A, it was 32A or AA.

The bra sizing boutiques in my area aren’t small chest or under 50 helpful...even I feel young walking in there; I have only ever seen ladies 65+ in there. A friend of mine who is my age (41) used to own a shop but she recently got divorced and closed her shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-18-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have you tried Amazon for 28A bras? They have some. I'm a 30D and have bought several from there.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Have you tried Amazon for 28A bras? They have some. I'm a 30D and have bought several from there.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    No I have not, but thanks for the tip. We will see how it goes with the 30As.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast