Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default When to take the PSAT?

It is offered to all students at DS1s high school. Should he take it as a Freshman? I want him to do well on it. Some will say it’s not a big deal but in our family that’s where the scholarship money came from and my alma mater still places a lot of weight on the test scores (though it primarily uses the ACT). I think practice is good if it isn’t stressful. If we wait until next year he’ll have had geometry which I think will be important to getting a good score. I actually think test taking is fun (which I know is weird!)

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

In our area, students start taking different versions of it in 8th grade (used for HS class placement). Then they take it again in April in 9th and 10th grades. I was just informed of a practice test in a few weeks and study sessions before and after school a few days. DS tends to not do great on standardized tests, very hit or miss, so he will be taking the practice test and probably going to a few study sessions. Practice is never a bad thing. I hate that so much focus throughout school years is based on one single test or another....

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They start on Grade 10 at our school. Those scores are just for practice and don’t get submitted anywhere. I don’t think earlier is necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our middle school, they offer a practice PSAT 8/9 that many 8th graders take to get a baseline score. Then in high school, the PSAT is open to everyone. The high school counselors recommend that 9th graders skip the PSAT because it's geared toward 11th graders, but they do recommend 10th graders take it as practice.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

8th graders take the practice PSAT and the PSAT in 9th grade.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS took the actual SATs in 7th grade.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    DS took the actual SATs in 7th grade.
    PSAT is the entry mechanism to the national merit scholar program, so skipping the PSAT for the SAT will drop you out of consideration.

Here they have all students take it in 9th and 10th for practice and then in 11th for NMS.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Our HS guidance recommendation is going to be different than the above. They recommend not to take it in the 10th grade as the math on it is not covered until spring of sophomore year. (Geometry is taught in 10th grade here.)
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    In our middle school, they offer a practice PSAT 8/9 that many 8th graders take to get a baseline score. Then in high school, the PSAT is open to everyone. The high school counselors recommend that 9th graders skip the PSAT because it's geared toward 11th graders, but they do recommend 10th graders take it as practice.
    I think this strategy is what I’m leaning towards. I think geometry will be a game changer for him and don’t want a low score (pre geometry) to affect the way he feels about the test.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I took it at the beginning of 11th grade, and then took the SAT at the end of 11th grade. I won’t recommend my girls take it until at least 10th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast