Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Curious with those involved in scouts - how much out of pocket expenses do you have?

Just curious for those with kids in scouts, especially girl scouts. Not counting summer camp, how much do you expect to pay in out of pocket expenses for a year: uniform, dues, snacks, activities, (basically things not covered by troop fundraisers)? And what level of scouts is your child in? Thanks!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For our troop (Girl Scouts, first year Juniors):

$15 to register

about $45 for vest/insignia -- this is an every-other-year expense, and this year our troop used cookie funds to pay for everyone's vest or sash. Sashes are significantly cheaper ($8 vs $20).

Activities -- depending on (a) how many we do as a troop, and (b) whether we ask the parents to pay, can range from $50-200 for the year. Each activity is usually either $5, $15 or $25 per girl. I'm basing that $200 on our current troop year, where we are planning to do about 10 council-sponsored activities with our girls, including two camping trips. That's a lot more than the 3-5 that we've done in every past year.

Patches are usually $2 each, but we have been paying for them out of troop funds since we were Daisies.

We don't charge troop dues and we don't ask them to pay for the supplies we use in our meetings (we do not provide snacks). As a leader, I probably put $150-200 of my own money into the troop every year. I could get reimbursed from troop funds, but I tend to spend a little here and a little there, not one big amount, so it's usually too much of a pain to deal with getting reimbursed.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    For our troop (Girl Scouts, first year Juniors):

$15 to register

about $45 for vest/insignia -- this is an every-other-year expense, and this year our troop used cookie funds to pay for everyone's vest or sash. Sashes are significantly cheaper ($8 vs $20).

Activities -- depending on (a) how many we do as a troop, and (b) whether we ask the parents to pay, can range from $50-200 for the year. Each activity is usually either $5, $15 or $25 per girl. I'm basing that $200 on our current troop year, where we are planning to do about 10 council-sponsored activities with our girls, including two camping trips. That's a lot more than the 3-5 that we've done in every past year.

Patches are usually $2 each, but we have been paying for them out of troop funds since we were Daisies.

We don't charge troop dues and we don't ask them to pay for the supplies we use in our meetings (we do not provide snacks). As a leader, I probably put $150-200 of my own money into the troop every year. I could get reimbursed from troop funds, but I tend to spend a little here and a little there, not one big amount, so it's usually too much of a pain to deal with getting reimbursed.
    Wow, our dues went up to $25 a few years ago, I thought that was a national thing? The vest/insignia set sounds similar to ours, but most of our earned badges are $3 a piece. Fun patches I can usually find for $1-$2 each. I've always asked for dues to help cover patches, craft supplies, etc., as have my older daughter's troop leaders. Up until now, we always used the dues and fundraising money to pay for any activities (I tried really hard to find free or cheap activities!), but I'm afraid that will be harder to do with the cadette level. I've found some awesome overnight and weekend events locally but they are $45-$95 per girl! I'll have a small troop this year, so I'm not expecting our fundraisers to bring in a ton of money to play with. I was just curious what other parents are used to, or OK spending so that I can figure out what activities to work towards.

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

In my troop we charged $50 troop dues per year, and girls bought their uniforms. Troop paid for badges. If we did extra events (zoo snooze, pumpkin patch) I usually had families pay half, but I don’t think anyone would have batted an eye at paying the whole cost.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DD was in one troop K-5th and we paid $35/year and it included the uniform, etc. We had a grandma who loved Girl Scouts and spent a lot on our kids.

She was the only one continuing into 6th, so she switched troops. This one is $50 and the uniform is extra. We do the sash. The badges come out of the troop money.
    Kris

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

25 GS membership + 15 council fee = $40/yr per kid
    uniform is ~40 by the time you add the vest/sash + required patches, tabs and pins.

dd1's troop fee is an additional $40 but she feeds them dinner with meetings.

3-5x a year there is another activity ~$25 - camping, day activity etc.

Plus, its $25 for an adult membership to be allowed to help at activities. Our troops are small and esp w/dd1's troop needs a 2nd adult for all activities so I suck it up and pay so I can help.

To be honest, last year, I simply didnt have the start up funds and applied for a scholarship for the fees payable to GS.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Thanks! As Daisies, I asked for $25 for yearly dues, parents buy uniforms, and troop paid for all activities. Brownies I asked for $30 because activities got more expensive. Again, troop paid for most activities, I think a few times I asked for $5 or $10 towards an activity. My youngest daughter's Junior troop has a $35 troop dues, so I am doing the same for the Cadette troop I'm leading. Cadette activities are much more expensive than Daisy and Brownie activities! I was just curious if this was comparable to what others are paying. It does annoy me that in order to volunteer you have to pay $25 to become a member each year, but I did just learn that they offer adult financial aide, so I'm hoping that will help out those who have been hesitant to help before. I'm a lone leader this year, so I need another adult at all meetings and events. Out of 6 girls in our troop, so far there is just me and one other mom who have completed the background checks and membership, despite numerous reminders and info given to parents Any ideas how to get more parents on board?

Two boys are cub scouts and it’s $150/each. That includes all the activities, snacks, two outdoor camping trips and food, and any patches or pins they earn. We purchase the uniform, hat, neckerchief but they offer a swap and I pass it down to younger. They offer a winter camping trip (we’ve done battleship NJ, Franklin institute), and we pay for that If we attend. We don’t sell popcorn or do any fundraising other than a pancake breakfast at Applebee’s.

DD’s daisy dues are $15 online for GS and $60 to troop. Covers badges, we rotate bringing snack. Went on a hayride last year And we paid for that. We buy our own uniform.

My oldest was a cadette last year. I think hers were similar. They went on a trip to a scrapbooking retreat. Troop bought scrapbooking supplies, knitting supplies. Girls mAde fleece blankets and we bought the fleece. We all pitched in to buy ingredients for kids to cook. I don’t remember having to pay for anything extra.

Our daisies had 3 or 4 leaders, but required us to sign up to help and bring snack for one meeting. They sent out a signup genius. Also had info on how to get clearance. Our cadette troop sent an email just asked if anyone could help and I was able to help a few times since she was ok w me bringing DD. This year a mom w a girl that started college is helping.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a 2nd year Cadette troop and have been leader since daisies.

1) GSUSA dues are $25. When the girls were little, the troop paid this amount, but now parents pay for daughter and at least one parent to be a registered member.

2) Uniform - When the girls bridged to brownies, the troop purchased uniforms, but for juniors and cadettes parents agreed to purchase uniform. Girls choose vest or sash. Parents purchase with standard insignia. Parents also make sure girls have tan bottoms and a white shirt (although we larger girls also hand down bottoms). Troop purchases all awards, pins, patches. Troop purchases troop t-shirt. -- we're a robotics troop and our council also provides the girls a t-shirt each ear.

3) If we register in advance for an expensive event, parents pay the amount upfront. If the girl attends the event, we reimburse the parents -- either all or a pre-established fraction depending on the level of troop funds -- typically, troop reimburses parents 2/3 of registration fee for expensive events like museum overnights or outdoor adventure course camping trips. Troop pays the amount to meed adult ratio -- if more adults volunteer, this amount is split among adults.

4) Cookies - our council gives summer camp credits as a cookie incentive if girls sell at least 275, 500, 750, or 1000 boxes of cookies. All of my girls sell at least 275 boxes.

5) Girl-led events - my girls love hosting events for younger girls. For the past two years we have held WOW Journey-in-a-Day events -- this year we are adding an opportunity for other cadettes to join us and earn their leader-in-action award. We are planning to host other events, like badge workshops and princess parties. These have been FANTASTIC learning and leadership experiences for my girls, plus make money.

6) Girls are saving for a trip next summer and for Silver and Gold award projects. During our first year as cadettes, we agreed that 25% of troop proceeds would be set aside to help pay for these special expenses. Usually, the girls choose to save any profits from the girl-led events for these future expenses.

7) My daughter usually participates in 2 or 3 individual summer camp programs each summer. One is only $45 for a weekend -- the others cost between 300 and 500 per week . DD usually earns $250 from selling cookies.

So, for GS - I expect to pay $25 in GSUSA dues (for husband and daughter - I'm a life member), $60 for uniform (but her current uniform will last until she's an adult), $500-$700 in summer camps -- plus all of my personal expenses as leader, gas driving the troop to events, personal items that get donated because its easier then running out an buying every things, training expenses (this summer, I became lifeguard (renewed), water safety, canoeing moving water certified at about $400 personal expense and plan to renew Wilderness First Aid at $150).

Boy Scouts -- on the other hand -- is expensive. We don't sell popcorn and DS doesn't earn a lot of money for personal account for troop fundraisers. The fundraising events he typically supports raise money for the troop, not personal boy expenses. The troop camps every month which usually includes a special activity with additional fees. My husband volunteers so he has fees too. Each camping trip is between $20 and $100 (x2), depending on the activity. We have BSA membership fees for son, husband, me. Plus, high adventure summer camps (e.g. Philmont, Seabase, Northern Tier) add another $1500-$2000 per person by the time you purchase required equipment. DS attends 2 summer camps a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast