Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Radon can literally be present anywhere, it is just part of nature. It can also be present in offices, schools, grocery stores, etc . .. , but no one thinks twice about spending time in any of those places.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Radon can literally be present anywhere, it is just part of nature. It can also be present in offices, schools, grocery stores, etc . .. , but no one thinks twice about spending time in any of those places.
    Yes that. I think you’re letting your familiar history with cancer (family and work) cloud your judgement a bit. If you’re really been that vigilant about cancer and radon, it’s very hard to live a lifestyle completely removed from all known risks with cancer and radiation.

I’ve lived in Boston and it’s always such a tight market. Have quite few friends who settled on space without yard or vice versa for themselves. If both is desisted, you’ve go out way past 495 or Framingham and beyond to get both without paying a million. All of my friends have had to make tough compromises regarding their houses in order to make their school and work commute livable. I would buy that radon house especially if it really ticks all of your wishes and wants from a house. Winter is coming, so don’t know how well real estate sells from Thanksgiving to Spring, but here in my area while sales do happen it just isn’t as brisk it may otherwise be. I also live in very low inventory area too; usually only see 18-25 homes on market a year in a township of 14K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Even though the radon issue is totally fixable, would you be able to get over your anxiety around the radon? If not, I'd keep looking. Nothing would be worse than living in a house that you are constantly worrying in.

Having said that, maybe seeing the numbers themselves pre- and post- mitigation would be enough evidence to quell the anxiety. Can you go ahead and put an offer in on the house and then get the owners to do the radon mitigation (assuming your offer is accepted)? I'm not sure how real estate works there, but here you can put in an offer and you get a 10-day option period during which you do the inspection, etc...and at any point during those 10 days you can back out and all you lose is your option fee (only a few hundred dollars).

I do think you’re being unreasonable. Which is fine, but just realize you’re going to have a next to impossible task. Maybe you don’t really want to move? You asked us all about radon and for the most part we said “not an issue”. Radon dissipates in the outdoors, there’s no plume hovering over your house.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Why is it so hard to buy a home?

If I were that worried about radon and cancer, I’d want a home with a system that always piped it out more than I’d want a house whose levels fluctuated with seasons and weather and didn’t have a system.

But your anxiety is real and worth considering. I don’t mean to pile on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Goodness, none of you are piling. I ASKED you to tell me. Sometimes just discussing things with people and letting them telll me want other people are doing and dealing with issues really helps me which is why I posted here. I appreciate the frankness. The BbB is like a real friend who never shows from telling you the truth when you need it, but also has the collective knowledge of multiple friends
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's hard to find a home because it's a huge, expensive, permanent decision. And if you're dealing with time pressure and/or limited inventory it can be paralyzing. IME.

I was one of those who bought a house (in the Boston area, no less) with radon, so I won't reiterate that. But I think it's also worth considering if the radon is really the issue or if there is some other reason why you don't want that house, and radon is an easy excuse not to face that
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know nothing about the radon situation, but wondered if it makes sense for you to buy a smaller house and add on to it?

Georgiegirl, I sent you a pm because I am hoping while you are picking your dh's brain about this, you and he would be okay with picking his brain about my obsessive concern about if I should do something about my popcorn ceilings that contain asbestos. For anyone else reading, I am up-to-date about what is considered safe or not, but still obsess about this. Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    Except we have as close to a plastic free home as possible, don’t use cleaning chemicals except lemon and bleach, and I even carry my own glass containers to get takeout if I everr order out �� Yes, I am that nut.
    Haha! Me, too. That was my point! Even nuts like us who try really hard to avoid as many health risks as possible recognize that radon is one of those things we don’t need to worry too much about. It’s fixable. You can get rid of it in your own home just like all the other unhealthy stuff, but it’s also one of those things that’s just part of living on our planet nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Something like this may give you a lot of peace of mind (or even a few to place in different areas of your house). https://www.amazon.com/Corentium-Det...ds=radon+meter
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast