Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think in your case I might consider moving to a suburb with more inventory. I know your DC are in school, but change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Feeling locked into a living situation without a solution sounds more frustrating than moving to a different town.

I hear you about the radon situation. We don't have that issue here, but I agree with pp if you can't get comfortable with it, it is not the right house situation for you.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post

I hear you about the radon situation. We don't have that issue here, but I agree with pp if you can't get comfortable with it, it is not the right house situation for you.
    I don’t know if you mean at your house or in your region. But radon is found in all regions of the country not just the northeast, and you don’t even have to have a basement. When we moved here we had to pay for a radon inspection and the sellers agent (who’s now a good friend) told me that hardly anyone asked for one. We had elevated levels and the sellers pot in a system. Now, on our neighborhood FB page more and more people talk about radon levels. I wouldn’t buy a house anywhere without getting a test.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    So this is partly for commiseration but partly also looking to see if I’m being in reasonable. We’re in the Boston area looking for a house. It’s so hard! Partly I think because we need space and a yard. Partly because we’re stuck in our area because DD is in high school and we don’t want to move her. Partly because things are just so darned expensive!! I’ve looked for this entire year......we were outbid twice, one House we got looked like the owners did not have a clean title and one we got that the kids loved has high radon levels so we are probably just going to walk. So I guess the choice is between living in a crappy unrenovated old building with no air conditioning, or a tiny house where all of us will be on one another or a house where I have to constantly worry about kids not going into the basement because there is radioactive material there. Am I being unreasonable? I kept asking myself this with the radon especially, but this is not a high radon area and to choose to live in a place like that and potentially expose young kids to radon seems insane to me.....am I crazy? Anyone else out there like me? What would you do?
    Buying property in the Boston area is really, really, really hard. When we moved within town about a decade ago there were only 3 houses on the market in our price range. We ended up having to settle on a very dated house that was barely in our price range that we have gradually had to upgrade. And yes, it had radon. We installed a radon system and just moved on. I can only imagine what we could buy for the same money in a different part of the country.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the radon can be mitigated and is a common issue in your area, that is probably something you have to take care of and monitor, but go ahead and buy IMO. I doubt you will fully get away from it. Otherwise, I can sympathize, although our area is a bit different and I was just really, really picky...so we ended up building.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

just one more voice on the radon issue- our house had a high level of radon, the seller installed a system and we bought it. The house is over a hundred years old- we are the 3rd owners and I don't know much about the people who lived here first but the second owners are all still alive (and old!) with one exception- the father who died in his late eighties (a stroke I think). This family bought the house in the 1950s and had 4 kids, and they all grew up in the house. Before there was a radon system. The risk is so, so low I certainly don't worry much about it. As far as the radon getting blown out of the house and blowing back on- I don't think that is much of a worry- once in the atmosphere the concentration is very low.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok so, you ladies gave me the courage to do this. But we got mitigation quotes today and are buying. The. House!!!! I wouldn’t have done this unless you plastic avoiding radiation oncology trained weather seasoned mamas had not all chimed in together and said: you’re being unreasonable. So thank you. This was the reality testing I needed. I know many of you share my values in terms of environmental exposures etc and hearing you give me common sense advice was what I needed. Thank you!!!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah!!!!! Congratulations and good luck on the rest of the house purchase process. I can’t imagine how hard buying in Boston must be. We live just close enough to know the area, but not have the same house prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm happy for you. I hope the purchase goes smoothly and that the house is everything you dream it to be.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update!!! Good luck with closing and moving and all that excitement! I bet the kids are thrilled!!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Congratulations!! I know how difficult the Massachusetts housing market is, good luck with the house purchase!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast