Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car help

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Car help

We have a 2015 GMC Acadia with only 30,000ish miles on it. We have been having ongoing issues with it that haven't been handled well by the dealership and we are at our wits end. We are considering trading it in so it doesn't become a money pit as it moves beyond the warranty. We weren't planning on replacing it so are sort of scrambling for what other options might be good to replace it. We have 3 kids (one still in a carseat, one in a low back booster but almost out) and a big dog. We are a big sports family and often travel for that and to see family so we need decent trunk space. We live in snow country so need something good for that too. We may be interested in looking at certified used options in addition to new since this wasn't in the plans to buy a new car right now. Suggestions on what might be good to look at??

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Toyota Highlander

I’d also look at minivans. I know some people (perhaps even you) are anti-minivan but they are darned practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Toyota Highlander

I’d also look at minivans. I know some people (perhaps even you) are anti-minivan but they are darned practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the Highlander gotten any bigger in the last few years? When we looked at it when we bought the Acadia, it was too small for our needs (I know they have downsized the Acadia since then - ours is from a year that it was still considerably larger than the highlander).

I lean more SUV than minivan, but I'm not closed to them...we did look at them last time and would look again. We worried a little more about them in the snow...

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    Has the Highlander gotten any bigger in the last few years? When we looked at it when we bought the Acadia, it was too small for our needs (I know they have downsized the Acadia since then - ours is from a year that it was still considerably larger than the highlander).
    The Highlander is great if you only really need 2 rows, but if you use the third row it has virtually no trunk space. We looked at one and then ended up going with a Sienna minivan instead. They make an AWD version, though we opted not to get it. We live in New England and get a decent amount of snow, but we are generally able to avoid driving much/any when the roads are really bad.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    The Highlander is great if you only really need 2 rows, but if you use the third row it has virtually no trunk space. We looked at one and then ended up going with a Sienna minivan instead. They make an AWD version, though we opted not to get it. We live in New England and get a decent amount of snow, but we are generally able to avoid driving much/any when the roads are really bad.
    Sounds like the Highlander would still be too small for us. We have at least part of our 3rd row up all the time between the 3 kids and carpool. Then we need to be able to fit things like sports bags, stroller, folding chairs, luggage, the dog etc. in what is left for trunk space.

I would be driving a lot in the snow (we live in Upstate NY and are always in the running for the top snowfall in the country!) - school seldom closes here and we ski. Do you feel like your minivan would handle ok if you did have to drive in the snow? Or do you avoid it because it doesn't handle it well?

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

The Toyota Sequoia can get 8 or 7 passenger versions. (Middle row either has a 3 seating configuration, or 2 captains chairs with a console between them).

It's big and truck-like, which may or may not appeal to your driving style. Good for snow though, 4WD and very high. We often keep a portion of the backseat folded down (it's split so you can have 2 seats up or just 1 seat up).

I've never been a minivan person either. BUT I only have two kids, so I never had to consider it at all. Three does change things!

Default Car help

I have a minivan (Honda odyssey) and it handles well in the snow. We do put on really nice snow tires in the winter though. You can’t beat it in terms of space and flexibility. While I don’t live in snow country (Midwest with medium amount of snow and frigid temps), I did live in Ithaca for 4 years and I felt like the roads were easier to manage there because snow removal was far superior. I drove a Toyota Corolla and rarely had an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Default Car help

If I was buying right now I’d buy the 2019 Honda Pilot Touring elite 8 seater. I have the 2018 elite and it’s only 7 passenger. I really wanted the odyssey but the pilot had AWD.

For more “trunk” space I add a platform to my trailer hitch and carry a giant Rubbermaid container on the back. It’s easy to pack and then we just lift it on before we go anywhere.

I also have my dog traveling in a crate. So with the platform and box on, I have lots of room.

ETA: the Pilot is amazing in snow! It’s one of the reasons I bought it. I liked how heavy it felt on the road. I have also driven a Subaru is the same snow (2017 Outback) and I liked the Pilot the best. And I drive in real snow too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by RiverRat; 09-05-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added info about snow driving

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a 2018 Pilot. It's big vs. my old CRV. It does fine in the snow but it's got nowhere near the agility the CRV had. I can feel the weight come up around me when I stop quickly. It's definitely not as easy to control in any weather simply because of the weight. We have a Thule roof rack that we use for camping but it's in no way convenient. You have to stand on the tire to reach into it.

I'd look at vans or cars larger than the Pilot if you can't make something the size of the Pilot fit your needs.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a Pilot and it was the best snow vehicle I've driven. And I have had 2 Subaru and a 4runner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast