Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help! Dress for a wedding next weekend!!!

Ok. I put off trying on stuff in my closet because I've been losing weight (yay!). So now I'm totally between sizes - too small for my bigger stuff, not small enough for the smaller stuff. So I'm going to need to get a dress for a wedding next weekend. (I know, I'm the worst!) I'm somewhere between a 10-12, probably more on the 12 side at the moment.
    Wedding is at West Point (it's actually a former student of mine - the first "student" wedding I've been invited to, and she and I have remained close since she graduated high school and WP). Now, I'm not military, and the invite reads "Formal Attire, Military ASU". But it's a morning wedding - 10am. So does that mean FORMAL formal? Or formal military dress (for those who would be dressing)? Or can I get away with a cocktail-type dress? I know we're not in daylight savings time yet, so no velvet but what the heck?! I also know it's not a "traditional" reception; they're basically having a brunch reception, so no band/dj/craziness to deal with.
    But HELP! I'm not finding anything I like!!!
    WEDDING GUEST DRESS HELP!!! STAT!!!
    (Oh wondrous goddesses of the BBB, give me guidance!)
    ETA: Double extra bonus brownie points if I can wear the dress again in mid October for my niece's baptism!
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So the invite specifics are for military folk, but I would think you still want to be somewhat dressy vs casual.

This style is so pretty, and would also work for the baptism, the price is super expensive (for me anyway), but the style is perfect I would think.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tadashi...=smoke%20pearl

Love it... except for the price!!! Holy crapsnacks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

I know, it's gorgeous, but, I linked it because of the style. I only spent 150.00 on my wedding dress lol!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Loft is having a 40% off sale on everything online (maybe in stores too?) and with ebates it's another 8% right now. They have some nice dresses that are versatile and can be reworn.

https://www.loft.com/dresses/catl000013?goToPage=2&N=0
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress posted by PP, but Wow that's a lot of money!
    I had a similar idea for you, so I typed "navy lace dress" into the search on Nordstrom and found many really pretty options that would be perfect for both occasions ( I pictured navy lace as the answer to both) at varying price points. Not knowing your body shape or comfort level, I can't recommend one or other, but maybe you can try that search and see what appeals to you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Cocktail attire should be fine for that time of day. I like the royal blue flounce dress from Loft. A tea length dress alsonwould work (for both events).

I had to look up ASU (Army Service Uniform) because we’re Navy, and I don’t know Army terms.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

I was thinking navy too, although you might blend in too much with all the military folk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have a specific dress recommendation, but consider Rent the Runway. Lots of choices, quick delivery, often they have a deal on a "backup dress" if the first one doesn't work out.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

There are some really cute dresses on the other wedding thread in this forum. I found a couple of really cute dresses while perusing the links.
    I LOVE this one, and ordered it for a baby shower, and a wedding at the end of October. It's a little funky, and probably not everyone's taste, but I'm pretty non-traditional, and love color and texture, (usually,if it's dark color. this dress might be out of my comfort zone when I actually get it).
    https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/foxie...e_type=product

I also ordered this as a backup. I love Eliza J dresses.
    https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j...0J&color=black

I have these shoes and hope they will work with the dress-
    https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/eilee...r=plum%20suede

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast