Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Forgot to add to my last post just now - We have just begun to buy 'adult' sizes for my daughter. I don't find them a perfect match because the adult blouses sometimes poof out where women would be fuller chested and the adult long shirt sleeves are way longer than my daughter's arms.

My daughter likes Macy's style, too. She was over the top excited to be shopping in the adult section there (I wouldn't have done it because I think adult clothing is more expensive, but my mother took her).

The shoe salesman showed us adult (very small) shoes (I think they were dress shoes, but they may have been dress boots) that my daughter could buy to increase her options, but the price went up from $50 for a kid's shoe her size to $70 and more for the adult shoe her size so I said no!!
    Last edited by magnoliaparadise; 09-21-2018 at 11:18 AM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliaparadise View Post
    I'm kind of amazed at how tall all these girls are - what percentile are they??

I don't really get it because mine is 10 years old and 5 feet and 94th percentile so it sounds like yours must be an even higher percentile. I can't imagine my daughter growing 4-6 inches in a year or two if still pre-puberty - that seems like a huge jump!!!!

I got my daughter to do a basketball team for her age because I figured her height would help her and... low and behold, the self selective group that likes basket ball here is whoa TALL. Most were taller than her.
    My DD towers above most of her friends - she has a group of 10 or so girl pals who she went to elementary school with. 2 are taller than her (both have very tall dads) and most are 5 ft or under. They are all over the place in terms of height and development at this age! Mine must have grown 4 inches since November, because we have photos from a wedding where she's down at my ear level and looks like a little kid. She is still more like a younger kid in the chest, hips, so women's clothes hang off her even if they're right for height.

Wow, I am blown away by these helpful and thoughtful responses. Taking a quick break from work to say a big thank you to all, and keep em coming because I will likely need to go to a few of these places. I might start with Target and Ross for budget but those Macy's suggestions look promising too (thanks SB!).

She goes to a reform temple, very liberal and fairly casual - my DH went to high holy day services dressed formally and said he was the only one under 70 dressed up for the occasion! DD will have her bat mitzvah next June, so I'll be needing to look for that dress as well - just don't want to get it now when she is still growing so quickly.

for Sandy Hook

My DD (same age but shorter) found some summery dresses at Old Navy in the women’s section. She’s 5’2.5” and I would say she’s pretty average in height. She has some friends taller and some shorter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

dd1 is 12 = 5' 6.25 tall and 130lbs. just went to the drs for her checkup. Pretty sure those dresses would be far too short on her (IMO) She's also not the tallest girl in her class - most of her friends are the same height.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yup - looks to me like most girls grow a lot between 10 and 12/13! My kids always grew a couple inches a year normally, but this past year both grew at least 3, probably more. It's crazy when I look at 8th grade girls, many of whom are 13, as they seem fully grown in all ways. Boys on the other hand...have some catching up to do!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

anonomom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You might have luck with the Candie's brand at Kohls. We just bought DD (also 12) this dress to wear to a wedding: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-33...hisper&prdPV=1
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD(14) went to 20+ bat mitzvahs her bat mitzvah year, as well as having her own.

* A lot of the kids will have a lot of bar/bat mitzvahs too - they wear the same clothes way more than once
    * As a PP pointed out - dress code will vary by synagogue. Find at least one with sleeves and a relatively modest neck/hemline
    * Look all the time - we could find one, or maybe two, when we looked - but over the course of the year had several more than that. All were pretty reasonably priced (under $100, even for 'cocktail attire' parties)
    * We had the most luck at Macy's in their junior department. Our local store isn't great, but larger cities were (I travel a fair amount for work, and we made a special trip to Chicago to look). Online is great too - order several and return what you don't like locally.
    * Not sure where you live, but Altar'd State was another source of several dresses

As PP said - Kohl's, Target, Penneys etc can all have good ones - but a bit more hit and miss at least for DD.

Just looked at SnuggleBuggles links - saw similar to ALL of those among DD's friends. DD had https://www.macys.com/shop/product/c...%26slotId%3D23 in two colors - at $30 hard to beat it. This was similar to several others - she had to have it altered to take up the shoulders as she's 4'11" - but it's relatively stretchy and worked with her 32DD (!) bust.

Last tip - make sure to look at the attire part of the party invitation - DD went to parties that ranged from 'shorts and a t-shirt' to 'cocktail attire'. For the latter - she bought two Homecoming dresses in October, on sale, in the junior department so you might want to keep your eyes open for those. Total for two was $129 if I recall correctly.

Happy shopping!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    Try Ross, lots of styles, low prices!
    Yes to Ross and Marshalls. Lots of options.
    K

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just wanted to say that I love the dress from Lord & Taylor! Your daughter will look beautiful on her special day!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    So, my daughter is HAVING a bat mitzvah in a month, and she sounds just like your daughter - no fancy clothes, let alone a skirt or dress was in her closet, no shoes, nothing. And she has a few more coming up. She is also 5'5" and about 115 pounds.

We ordered a bunch of dresses from Macy's. They were women's dresses, and size 4 is what fit her best. But you can also search by teen. You have to make sure they don't have big boob areas (some did) - my dd is still pretty small in that area. We also ordered some dresses from Anthroplogie. I'd scroll through with her and find some options to try. I don't have time to find the two my daughter kept (one for hers, one for others), but will if I can later.

I think the one she picked out seems totally fine and nice.
    Mazel tov!

for Sandy Hook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast