Question Party activities for older kids at your house?

What's been a hit with both boys and girls at your house if you don't have a play set or pool? We're having 10-12 year olds over, but if you have ideas that apply to even older kids (other than just screens ), I'm all ears!

Are things like ladder ball, bean bag toss (into one of those wooden boards with a hole in the middle), croquet interesting at all? I'm trying to come up with other yard games if the weather's nice, or indoor things for our unfinished basement, if not.
    We did Nerf guns before, but the girls aren't into that, and it gets kind of messy and aggressive/ rowdy.

Thanks!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Maybe some minute to win it games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did an Olympics themed party for 11 year olds. It was a huge hit. I did brackets and we did 4 competitions--fusball, air hockey, darts, and a Mario Smash Brothers competition. You could do this with other games though, like ladder golf, bean bag toss, etc. I made gold, silver, and bronze medals with a Hershey's Gold candy bar, York candy bar, and Twix candy bar. I did a giant posterboard with the brackets on them.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I currently live in Germany and there's this birthday party game that all the German kids around here seem to play called "Police and Robbers". I don't actually know for sure what age range it would work for but I've been to parties where kids loved it and I thought it was fun so I'll share!

To prep, you have one box with some sort of "prize" -- usually a giant box of candy. Kids at party are divided into two groups -- one will be the Robbers, the other will be the Police. The Robbers team "steals" the prize, then leaves the house and goes to find a place to hide in the neighborhood. They hide the prize, then hide themselves. They mark their path with chalk arrows on the ground....but they also create a bunch of decoy paths. Eventually, each path except the real path will end with an "x", but the real path will lead to where the Robbers are hiding. The Police team gives the Robbers a pre-agreed head start time -- usually about 10 minutes, though at the birthday party I was at the adult with the Robbers just texted the adults with the Police team and told them when they were ready. Then, the police team sets out and tries to find the Robbers, using the chalk marks. It's fun because if the Robbers team did a good job, the kids will be led on a few wild goose chases! When the Police team finds the robbers hiding place, they try to chase and tag each Robber. Once a Robber has been tagged, they have to give the Police a hint about how to find the Prize. The game ends when the Police find the prize.

German culture is a lot different and kids usually just run all over and play this game by themselves, but in the States I see this as a game where there would likely be an adult with the kids -- at the party I was recently at, there was a mix of German and American kids and adults went with each group.

I hope that made sense! I seems like I see kids here often having fun with it!
    Lizi

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

The kids in my neighborhood play this without the chalk lines. They play unsupervised outside.

we bought a 4 person laser tag set on amazon for DS' 12 birthday. It's been a huge hit. We collected boxes for a while (I'm a girl scout leader and kept cookie boxes but otherwise would have gone to Costco) and they built forts with those. For laser tag you can also rent them-our church did that for the youth lock in
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)