Default Winter coat for boys

What do you like?

DS will be nine in December. I’ve been buying him Gap’s warmest jacket for years now, typically getting a couple of years wear out of them. But now I’m thinking it seems a bit bulky for him. We live in North Carolina, so we’re not trying to get through Michigan-type winters or anything. Most of the time he’ll wear his packable Gap jacket, which keeps him fairly warm. But we still need something warmer just in case.

I went to a couple consignment sales yesterday and saw Land’s End jackets that I assume were Squall jackets. Does anybody have any recent experience with these? I did a search on here, but it seems the majority of the jacket threads are from 2014 and back. I looked at target, but they tend to have the three-in-one style that I don’t think would work for DS. I know Costco has been mentioned on here is a place in look, too, but mine never really seems to have much in the way for older boys.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS got this one last fall and really liked it. We’ve always done Land End but he was wanting something less bulky and more mature.

Columbia Big Boys' Powder Lite Puffer Jacket, Black, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIZ0QNU..._1vMPBbH7NARTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squall jackets are the BEST! They wash up great and you can get years of wear out of them. Search LE now to see what sales they have. I used to find them on eBay. Puffy jackets are easier because they pack down small. So you can always go that route. I like Columbia too and they often have good prices.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love the Northface Thermoball hoodie or the LL Bean Puff n Stuff jacket for this, warm but not too warm, very squishy and comfortable. I got TNF either second hand or a great deal at Nordstrom Rack and the LL Bean at the outlet. Costco has a similar jacket in the past, I don't know about this year.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Thanks everyone! This is the packable puffy jacket that he has, or at least he has last year‘s version:

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...&pid=315275002

And I guess they have retired the Warmest tag, and I guess this is supposed to be the substitution.

https://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...&pid=315301012

So the light puffy version is great most of the winner, but we had a bit of an unusual cold snap last winter when it didn’t get close to freezing for about two weeks. That’s when he needed the heavier jacket. But I just remember it looked so big and bulky. And this year‘s version looks the same. That’s why I was looking at the squall. For those recommending the puffy jackets, would you say those are great for really cold weather or more than likely similar to the Gap one we already have?

It depends on the fill, etc. My Patagonia down sweater is really warm and I wear it at 30 or 40 degrees. But I always have a fleece on in that weather. The Squall is warm and if its too warm, they can just unzip it.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    It depends on the fill, etc. My Patagonia down sweater is really warm and I wear it at 30 or 40 degrees. But I always have a fleece on in that weather. The Squall is warm and if its too warm, they can just unzip it.
    Ok. Thanks! Gap descriptions used to include a lot more information on the actual fill, but that lack of information leads me to think that they’re going cheaper.

I’m going to go with the squall jacket. I showed DS photos of that and the bigger Gap coat last night, and he liked that the Squall wasn’t puffy. If anyone else in the market, Land’s End is 40% off through Sept. 25.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Squall jacket is good choice. It's not as long or heavy as parka. We love the LLB puffer, lined with fleece, but probably too much money for you to spend for a short winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Squall jacket is good choice. It's not as long or heavy as parka. We love the LLB puffer, lined with fleece, but probably too much money for you to spend for a short winter.
    We use the squall. It’s not puffy, and it’s warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I’ve always used the squalls as live in mid Atlantic. Some winters get really cold and we’ve also had some mild winters. I also buy Costco brands as their 2nd coats for whenever too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14