Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Must have clothes

I need to do a closet overhaul. Between purging when we remodeled last year, clothes wearing out and me losing weight, I need pretty much everything, shoes as well. The shopping will be spread out over the next several months, and I’m hoping to lose about 10lbs more as well.

I work in a school, so work clothes can also be worn on weekends.

What do you consider essentials in your closet?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Has your weight been fluctuating a lot? If so, maybe, at least for a bit, think of clothes that have some size leeway like leggings/ jeggings, wrap dresses, shirt dresses, basically bottoms with elastic and shirts with a bit of spandex or stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Has your weight been fluctuating a lot? If so, maybe, at least for a bit, think of clothes that have some size leeway like leggings/ jeggings, wrap dresses, shirt dresses, basically bottoms with elastic and shirts with a bit of spandex or stretch.

I’ve been losing about 0.5-1 lb a week, and I hope to lose about 10 lbs more between now and Christmas.

That’s a good idea to look with things that are stretchy so I can continue to wear as lose weight.

I’m also wanting to plan ahead on what to buy when I get to size I want to maintain, so I can buy things as find them. I’ve never had a wardrobe that covers possible events, so had to scramble to buy something. Or shoes didn’t quite work with an outfit.

I’m interested in hearing from others what the they think is essential in their closet.

Good jacket/blazers. They can really complete an outfit. Nice jeans. I like Kut from the Cloth. I used to really like Lucky Brand, but now they seem kind of meh to me. Also, patterned tops. They add interest to your whole look. I know some people only wear plain tees, but I like having a little pizzaz.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I am very casual when I'm not at work, so mine may not match up well with others, but I'll take a stab at it.

For work: 2-3 pair machine washable neutral dress pants, several cardigans or casual jackets + tanks to wear underneath, a few sweaters, 1-2 suits

For things I have to dress up for: approximately knee length black skirt, 1 funeral appropriate dress that can also be worn to other things, 1 cocktail dress, 1 more casual dress

For evenings/weekends: 3 pair jeans, 1-2 capris, 2-3 shorts, long and short sleeved t-shirts, 2-3 hoodies

Other: minimum 4 good fitting bras, 1-2 sports bras, a couple of sets of workout clothes, summer and winter pajama pants, 10+ underwear & socks

I aim for doing laundry every weekend, but that doesn't always happen, so I like to have enough of everything to make it 1.5-2 weeks without washing.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I can get dressed for a variety of occasions easily from my closet. I have a lot of clothes.
    Things I’m glad I have:
    Fun skirts- I especially like my knee length sequin pencil skirt (killer deal and it’s come in handy a number of times)
    Black form fitting sweater and a camel colored one
    Fun tops from Anthropologie. I only have 2-3 but they are great for date nights/ out with friends. Usually paired with dark jeans
    A few wrap dresses
    A shirt dress
    3-4 summer dresses that I really like
    Black jeans
    Athleta casual pants
    A few cozy sweaters
    Democracy jeggings Nordstrom Rack
    1 pair straight jeans
    1 pair bootcuts
    Short sleeve pull over blouses- Nordstrom Rack is great for these
    Wrap blouse in a stretchy fabric
    Some cardigans
    I probably have 3 cocktail dresses I could throw on at moments notice
    ETA- I have a few work appropriate dresses, several work appropriate skirts (pencil and a-line) and 2 great pairs of trousers.

Shoes- tall brown boots, brown booties, black heeled booties, black heels (a few varieties), nude heels, cute tennis shoes, a few pairs of ballet flats and slip on Sketchers.

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 09-23-2018 at 06:09 PM.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can get dressed for a variety of occasions easily from my closet. I have a lot of clothes.
    Things I’m glad I have:
    Fun skirts- I especially like my knee length sequin pencil skirt (killer deal and it’s come in handy a number of times)
    Black form fitting sweater and a camel colored one
    Fun tops from Anthropologie. I only have 2-3 but they are great for date nights/ out with friends. Usually paired with dark jeans
    A few wrap dresses
    A shirt dress
    3-4 summer dresses that I really like
    Black jeans
    Athleta casual pants
    A few cozy sweaters
    Democracy jeggings Nordstrom Rack
    1 pair straight jeans
    1 pair bootcuts
    Short sleeve pull over blouses- Nordstrom Rack is great for these
    Wrap blouse in a stretchy fabric
    Some cardigans
    I probably have 3 cocktail dresses I could throw on at moments notice
    ETA- I have a few work appropriate dresses, several work appropriate skirts (pencil and a-line) and 2 great pairs of trousers.

Shoes- tall brown boots, brown booties, black heeled booties, black heels (a few varieties), nude heels, cute tennis shoes, a few pairs of ballet flats and slip on Sketchers.

OT (sorry for the highjack!) - When you have time, would you mind linking to clothes from Nordstrom Rack? I buy jeans there but I’m always so overwhelmed by all the racks of miscellaneous clothing. I’ve found that ordering from them online works well but I don’t love things once I try them on. I’m a 6P and carry my weight in my belly. I look pregnant even though my baby is 8.5!

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    OT (sorry for the highjack!) - When you have time, would you mind linking to clothes from Nordstrom Rack? I buy jeans there but I’m always so overwhelmed by all the racks of miscellaneous clothing. I’ve found that ordering from them online works well but I don’t love things once I try them on. I’m a 6P and carry my weight in my belly. I look pregnant even though my baby is 8.5!
    Some of my go to tops are Philosophy and DR2. Like this:
    https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...r=BLACK%2FWHIT
    https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...r=E724I%20INDI

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 09-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Gymnbomb and SnuggleBuggles, thanks for the list. That’s what I’m looking for. Typically, I’ve just gotten what fitted but then I didn’t have something when needed. I want to put more thought into purchases this time around.

I’m going to have to wait to get somethings, but meanwhile I can fill in shoes and some shirts - I carry weight in bottom half so typically my shirts fit regardless of weight. I may need to get a pair of jeans as current ones are getting big, but I’ll look for sales on anything I think I won’t wear for too long. If the weather stays warm, I won’t be wearing jeans until closer to Thanksgiving anyways.

Last edited by niccig; 09-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Not a highjack - I like those types of shirts SnuggleBuggle posted

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast