MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Does this sound like whooping cough?

Our friend's child had a cold a few weeks ago, which turned into a cough. She was eventually diagnosed with bronchitis and a sinus infection. Fast forward to now and both she and her brother have this weird cough where they cough really hard and it has an off sound at the end. Not a whoop, but just an odd sound. Mom told me daughter puked the other night because she was coughing so hard. DS started coughing two days ago. I thought it was his asthma because this is his "time" where we usually have issues. Tonight, he started coughing so hard that he had that weird sound. Now I'm freaked out. Should I take him in or wait and see? Could this be whooping cough? I've been freaked out by their cough for a few days and whooping cough had crossed my mind. I assumed I was overreacting until tonight I told DH that DS had the weird sound and he says "I hope it's not whooping cough." Which is so abnormal for him to even come up with something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Our friend's child had a cold a few weeks ago, which turned into a cough. She was eventually diagnosed with bronchitis and a sinus infection. Fast forward to now and both she and her brother have this weird cough where they cough really hard and it has an off sound at the end. Not a whoop, but just an odd sound. Mom told me daughter puked the other night because she was coughing so hard. DS started coughing two days ago. I thought it was his asthma because this is his "time" where we usually have issues. Tonight, he started coughing so hard that he had that weird sound. Now I'm freaked out. Should I take him in or wait and see? Could this be whooping cough? I've been freaked out by their cough for a few days and whooping cough had crossed my mind. I assumed I was overreacting until tonight I told DH that DS had the weird sound and he says "I hope it's not whooping cough." Which is so abnormal for him to even come up with something like that.
    Is your child vaccinated? Are the other children?

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I would take him in just to be safe. Might be croup. DD had that when she was a baby. The sound of the cough freaked me out. I remember being in tears, thinking she had whooping cough, but it was croup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd take him in to be safe, especially since he has asthma. Croup has this seal barking type noise in the cough. It always hits in the middle of the night for my guys.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd take him in. But I want to add that for a long time, DD would throw up after/while coughing hard. It wasn't a stomach bug and it wasn't whooping cough. It was just what she did when she coughed hard for a long time. This made me realize that she hasn't done that in the past 2-3 years though.
    Kris

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My bet is it’s croup, it being prime croup season. But I would take him in for croup too. Croup is no joke either and they can prescribe steroids to help with that.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

w/dd1, I'd stick her in a steam shower and maybe give her a decongestant to dry the cough out and call it good. W/dd2 who has asthma, I'd probably have taken her to urgent care this afternoon. For a while she was getting pneumonia 1-2x a year. I once took her in b/c she had a bad cold and I was concerned about an ear infection and her 02 sat rate was 82% !! So Now I err much more on the conservative side for her.

I hope he feels better quickly.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can look online for videos for what it sounds like. Croup and whooping cough sound very different I think. Croup is like a barking cough. Whooping cough is hard to explain. We’ve had both. How old is ds? My kids throw up with coughing even with just a bad cold. Is his breathing fine? That’s the main concern.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post
    You can look online for videos for what it sounds like. Croup and whooping cough sound very different I think. Croup is like a barking cough. Whooping cough is hard to explain. We’ve had both. How old is ds? My kids throw up with coughing even with just a bad cold. Is his breathing fine? That’s the main concern.
    Yes, definitely look online to hear the audio of whooping cough. It's a coughing spell and then a gasp at the end. DS2 most likely had it when he was 2 (test came back inconclusive). He only coughed and had problems at night, once he laid down. I ended up video taping his cough so I could show the doctor when I took him in since he didn't cough in the day. She said yes, it seemed to be whooping cough. At the time he was still nursing and we treated with sodium ascorbate vitamin C powder to bowel tolerance and the homeopathic remedy for pertussis.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you all! DS is 6 and has been vaccinated. I am assuming both of the other kids have been as well, but I am not 100% sure. That being said, I think it's croup. Neither of my kids have ever had it, but when I picked him up from school his voice was hoarse, which I read was a symptom. Hopefully tonight is better because he was up at 3 coughing and didn't go back to sleep till 5 and then back up at 6:15. We're all running low on energy at this point!