Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Roku, Sling TV, Hulu - help

We are about to buy a new TV and will also keep our current TV. I know nothing about Roku, Sling TV, Hulu (I've basically just heard the terms being thrown around) but am trying to figure out if/how we can dump our $200/mo cable bill since we mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway. So what would I do here... buy a Roku TV? I'm not even sure what that means... is that something I need cable for or do I just connect it to the internet? Can you watch Netflix and Amazon Prime shows easily? Where do Sling TV or Hulu come in? We don't watch sports or news. Just prime TV shows, movies, kid stuff.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We use a Roku device connected to our TV. From it, we can access some free streaming and some paid streaming. Paid is Hulu, Prime, Netflix, SlingTV, CBS, etc. You have to set up a subscription to those services and then you can watch them via the Roku device on your TV. We use Prime and Hulu currently.
    Kris

We use a roku device hooked up to the tv. It connects to wifi, and whatever channels you get on it may have their own subscriptions. On our Roku we access Netflix, Prime, and Hulu, all of which we pay for. We also have services like Hoopla, acorn, and Kanopy through our library, and those are free. If you do pay for cable, you can get your cable line-up on it, and any pay tv channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. You can also subscribe to those separately if you don't want to have cable. I believe Sling lets you choose up to 10 channels for your subscription, but we don't have it, so I'm not sure. What I love about my roku is that I can take it on vacation and hook it up to the hotel or visiting home tv. That way we can watch tv together during vacation downtimes without everyone being isolated on their own devices. As long as you have access to wifi, you can use the roku.

We also have a roku device. From it, we stream Netflix, amazon prime, and YouTube TV. We purchased a subscription to YouTube TV when we cancelled cable. It’s way cheaper and we get all of the good channels and more. Free unlimited DVR. When we had cable, I just used an amazon fire stick to steam Netflix and prime. But the amazon fire stick isn’t compatible with YouTube tv, so we got the roku ($35 or so)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    We are about to buy a new TV and will also keep our current TV. I know nothing about Roku, Sling TV, Hulu (I've basically just heard the terms being thrown around) but am trying to figure out if/how we can dump our $200/mo cable bill since we mostly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime anyway. So what would I do here... buy a Roku TV? I'm not even sure what that means... is that something I need cable for or do I just connect it to the internet? Can you watch Netflix and Amazon Prime shows easily? Where do Sling TV or Hulu come in? We don't watch sports or news. Just prime TV shows, movies, kid stuff.
    You can just use the internet. We had an old TV and just used a Chromecast for anything off the internet (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, network websites, etc.) Basically, you'd have to start from an outside device (laptop, phone, iPad) and then "cast" to the TV from that device. Then the TV displayed whatever you wanted it to.

We upgraded recently (Samsung) and all that is built in on the new TV as a menu item. Neflix, YouTube, and Hulu for sure, but I don't think we have Amazon as a tv app. We still have the Chromecast plugged in and just use that. We don't use Amazon much, so I can't remember, honestly.

Any TV you'd buy today is probably Smart. If Amazon is something you need, there are certainly options that have that built-in. Quick Google - https://bgr.com/2018/07/13/4k-tv-wit...-in-on-amazon/

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We don't have devices hooked up but with the system I can sign into Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. on our TVs. We do still have cable though.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We do still have basic cable (we don't watch regular tv much and our internet is actually cheaper if we bundle with the basic cable). But when we watch Netflix, Amazon, Hoopla, etc., DH has an HDMI cord hooked from his computer to his entertainment system, so you pull it up on the internet, then move the screen to your TV to watch. We happened to have the HDMI cord laying around so stuck with that rather than purchasing something new to use, though a Chromecast or something else may be easier to use.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have a pretty new samsumg and all those streaming channels (prime, hulu, netflix, youtube) are built in, including a bunch I've never heard of like vudu. We do have a separate cable box, mostly because it was cheaper with bundling, I can't remember the last time I used it.

Our bluray player actually also does all the streaming stuff as well, but it's faster to do on the tv. With our very old tv we had a basic roku box.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We also have a roku device. From it, we stream Netflix, amazon prime, and YouTube TV. We purchased a subscription to YouTube TV when we cancelled cable. It’s way cheaper and we get all of the good channels and more. Free unlimited DVR. When we had cable, I just used an amazon fire stick to steam Netflix and prime. But the amazon fire stick isn’t compatible with YouTube tv, so we got the roku ($35 or so)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We just canceled our cable last month and have a Roku also. We pay for YouTube TV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

We have a Samsung Smart TV and can access all the services through that without adding an extra device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast