Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We took DS to pee when we went to bed every night for a couple years. We didn’t do it to night train him though. We did it because he didn’t want to sleep in pull ups and he preferred not waking up in a wet spot and I preferred not washing his bedding constantly. It worked for us and after a while we tried not doing it anymore and he stayed dry. It helped that he was a heavy sleeper. He didn’t really wake up. We carried him into his bathroom, stood him up holding him under the arms, pulled down his pajamas and he peed on command. Then we carried him back to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about waking him up. DS1 was a night wetter until about 7.5 I think. Our pediatrician was not worried AT ALL. It's a body maturity not something they are doing on purpose. And, it can be slower with boys. He said they don't even start worrying about it until 8 and even then they can talk about things like the alarm, but then start to check other causes first. That being said, we found out that DS1 was constipated (despite going daily) and had sleep apnea. Both of which can contribute to night time wetting. Once we got the constipation under control, the night wetting stopped almost immediately. DS hated that he needed to wear pull ups but he just couldn't stop. The pediatrician's favorite tool is this:https://www.goodmix.com.au/product/bristol-stool-chart/. He said if stools aren't mostly #4 and sometime #3, then you have an issue which could be affecting nighttime wetting.

How did you get the constipation under control? It blows my mind that you can be constipated and still go everyday.
    Last edited by frugalmom; 09-25-2018 at 10:19 AM.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about waking him up. DS1 was a night wetter until about 7.5 I think. Our pediatrician was not worried AT ALL. It's a body maturity not something they are doing on purpose. And, it can be slower with boys. He said they don't even start worrying about it until 8 and even then they can talk about things like the alarm, but then start to check other causes first. That being said, we found out that DS1 was constipated (despite going daily) and had sleep apnea. Both of which can contribute to night time wetting. Once we got the constipation under control, the night wetting stopped almost immediately. DS hated that he needed to wear pull ups but he just couldn't stop. The pediatrician's favorite tool is this:https://www.goodmix.com.au/product/bristol-stool-chart/. He said if stools aren't mostly #4 and sometime #3, then you have an issue which could be affecting nighttime wetting.
    Another question--how did you find out about the constipation if he was going every day? I'm guessing by x-ray?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Another question--how did you find out about the constipation if he was going every day? I'm guessing by x-ray?
    Yes, x-ray. My DS1 was the same way, all through elementary school, and once he started middle school was actually having multiple accidents a night and peeing mass quantities all night long as well. I actually posted about it on here thinking it was diabetes or something. DS was going poop every day but the x-ray showed he was extremely backed up. He ended up being put on Miralax daily and also had to do 3 "clean outs" involving an entire bottle of Miralax and a gallon of Gatorade. I think he remained on the daily Miralax for about 18 months. That didn't solve the accidents though. After keeping a food diary for several weeks I found out that eating a single crumb of gluten would cause him to wet the bed 2 days in a row!!! Ditched the gluten and the accidents stopped after 2 days. The frequent peeing was still there though and any gluten cross contamination caused an accident. I started giving him pumpkin seed extract capsules (calms an overactive bladder) and the frequent urination stopped and he no longer would have an accident after eating small amounts of gluten. My son is also a super deep sleeper and would sleep and pee through all the bedwetting alarms. He actually caused 2 of them to rust out! He still takes the pumpkin seed extract daily and hasn't had an accident in 2 years.

Anyways, treat any constipation and see if that helps. And if not, see if going gluten free helps.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 09-26-2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by frugalmom View Post
    How did you get the constipation under control? It blows my mind that you can be constipated and still go everyday.
    We had to do a Miralax clean-out and then daily Miralax for quite some time to give his intestine time to shrink back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    The doctor initially felt it at his checkup when he was feeling his stomach. He then sent us for an x-ray and he was backed up horribly! Basically, the stool was packed in there and then the intestine was stretching out so that some could get through daily. He said it was fairly common for kids to go daily but still be constipated.

Both of my girls had success using a potty alarm. It did take 6 weeks with each of them, but we were successful with both girls. We used one of the cheaper alarms from amazon that had variable sounds and vibrations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2