Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Heated Driveways......do you have one?

Do you like it? And dumb question, if you don't have a garage, can you park your car on the heated driveway? Doesn't it do something to your tyres?
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't, and have lived in cold climates most of my life, and they are really an extravagant extra and not necessary. I can't imagine they would hurt your tires though. It's very rare to see them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I don't, and have lived in cold climates most of my life, and they are really an extravagant extra and not necessary. I can't imagine they would hurt your tires though. It's very rare to see them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Agree. I think I have only heard of them at airports.

I would love to have one though.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

They sound wonderful but I’ve never known anyone with one in real life and I live in a pretty high end neighborhood in New England. I don’t know about tires. If I had money to spend on a heated driveway I think I’d be looking at adding a garage or upsizing to a house with a garage first. I also can’t imagine what they cost to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Apparently don’t cost too much to run......but I wouldn’t know. However, our new house apparently has them and I’m wondering if I can park my car on there during a snowstorm
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t have one but people in my old neighborhood did. I was always jealous. I think it’s just hot water pipes that run under the concrete iirc.

I can’t imagine the driveway actually get that hot, especially compared to asphalt in Arizona or something, so wouldn’t think it would be an issue for your car to be there.

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing exists. Of course growing up in SoCal there was no snow, and there's little snow here in the mid-Atlantic so I guess that's not surprising.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had one when we lived in Maryland. It had a sensor and kicked on with precip & temp. It was OK It came with the house
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My work building has an area of heated pavement, just the ramp that leads into the underground parking garage. It did fail not long after the building was built (10ish years ago) and all the concrete had to be chipped out and something needed fixed. I'm sure that wasn't fun! But, it is a necessity in this case.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have friends who had heated a heated driveway -- actually most of the homes in their subdivision had heated driveways. I never heard any concerns about wear on tires. I live where it is warmer and frequently park on black pavement that burns if you walk barefooted and haven't had heat related problems with my tires -- I can't imagine heated driveways being hotter than asphalt in the summer.

I'm pretty sure heated driveway installation is similar to heated floors in bathrooms -- lots of people in our area are installing heated floors when they do a bathroom remodel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast