diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default organic sugar or raw turbinado cane sugar?

generally I buy organic sugar 10lb bag in costco, but recently saw the raw turbinado cane sugar. Which is better? which one you use and why?

well depends - turbinado is less "processed" meaning only boiled once. White sugar is boiled multiple times.

Found this in terms of mineral content:

Every 100 grams of turbinado sugar contains 100 milligrams of potassium; 85 milligrams of calcium; 23 milligrams of magnesium; 3.9 milligrams of phosphorus; and 1.3 milligrams of iron. The total mineral salt content is 740 milligrams. A single teaspoon of turbinado sugar contains 20 calories.

Once the water element of the sugar cane has evaporated, the remaining crystals are full of the same nutrients that were found in the growing sugar cane. These include 0.20 milligrams of niacin; 32.57 milligrams of calcium; 0.09 milligrams of copper; 0.57 milligrams of iron; 2.49 milligrams of magnesium; 0.09 milligrams of manganese; 0.01 milligram of phosphorus; 162.86 milligrams of potassium.

Not sure of taste.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...rbinado-sugar/

10lbs seems like a lifetime supply Have no idea on cooking usage. We avoid sugar for the most part - occasional baking.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have no idea which is better but I think turbinado has a delicious flavor. We enjoy using it for lemonade and occasionally add to smoothies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use turbinado sugar as a sugar topping for baked goods. DH likes the organic sugar for his coffee. I use regular sugar for all our baking and cooking recipes.

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Turbinado is usually cane sugar I think. I avoid beet sugar because of gmo issues. I would confirm that it is cane sugar not beet. And I would check to make sure it has the same size crystals if you use it for baking. Larger crystals might not behave the same way for baking. For other uses it might not matter.

Either works for vegetarians- white sugar does not.