Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How helpful is a backup camera in a car?

As I posted before, I am buying an in-dash receiver to allow me to have built in bluetooth in my car. It occurred to me that it might be a good time to buy/install a backup camera as well. I am buying the in-dash receiver at Best Buy because installation for those products is free for a short time. Intstallation is not free for a back up camera. Before I knew that, I initially thought it would be worth the price of the camera to just get that installed. Now, I am looking for input.

Some relevant info is that the car is a Mazda 5 2010 and the visibility for backing up is very poor; I hate it. My 15 year old daughter will most likely be taking driving lessons with the year and I dont plan on buying a new car either for her or for me, but I will generally not let her drive unless she is with an adult for a long while. Not sure how long I will have this car for, but at this point for as long as possible. We use the 3rd row for my son's soccer, I don't want to spend money or a new (or used) car, etc. The car has under 90,000 miles and no major issues.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You're so lucky My 2010 Mazda 5 was a lemon. I loved it though. I replaced it with a RAV4 with so much safety tech though and love that. I could never be without a back up camera again. As a bonus, mine also alerts me for pedestrians or incoming cars. It makes parallel parking a cinch (and I was already really good at it). I would totally buy one.

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I agree...although most of my driving years I did just fine without a back up camera, after having one I realize how useful it is. I think it would be especially helpful for a new driver too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy or if they are hard to install? I can do that at Best Buy, but they are charging $125 just for the installation, which does not seem necessary for me.

SnuggleBuggles, the Mazda 5 really serves us well; especially with soccer. Of course, I would love a newer car especially for the safety reasons but not a good idea financially.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Agreed! I would get one.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you asked the dealership?

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would price it out at the dealership. You might not save much by going with Best Buy and may get a better warranty from the dealer.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Now that I'm used to one I wouldn't want to give it up. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Have you asked the dealership?

Hmmn, no I have not. The dealership sucks. Several years ago I lost my key and they tried to charge me 3 different prices (phone call, going in to talk to them, and picking up the key), all of which were inflated. I guess I could call and ask, but hate the idea of even talking to them.

Any input as to what features are important? This is the kind of thing that I would prefer to spend a little extra for if something is actually going to be useful.
    Last edited by JustMe; 10-17-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Love it. Wouldn’t buy a car without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast