Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Zansu View Post
    If you want to price compare, call a few places that install car alarms. They do back-up cameras and Bluetooth accessories.
    Ah, car alarm places are a good idea. We have car stereo places, but I have not been impressed with their prices.

Does anyone know what to look to buy as far as a sensors? The best I can tell is that some cameras have G sensors, but that seems to mean it indicates when you have already hit something as opposed to when you are getting too close.

Also, does the camera just get installed on the back of your car? Seems like it could easily be damaged by weather or otherwise..what am I missing?
    Last edited by JustMe; 10-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

My car I just sold had a backup camera. And my new one has sensors and camera.

The day I put my car in reverse at the school and saw a kid on my screen was the day I vowed my daughters and I will not have a car without a camera. Sensors probably wouldn’t have detected the kid - I would have thought it was the car parked behind me that I could see in my mirrors. But I could see that young kid clear as anything in the camera on my nav screen.

And backup camera show me items on my garage floor like small toys that sensors don’t pick up.

If i were you, I’d get the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Can’t imagine not having one now and should be required safety feature. I do t need one for parking, in a great parallel parker in all conditions, but it is a safety feature. Especially in school lots, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Aren't all passenger vehicles sold now mandated to have a built-in backup camera (excluding things like semi trucks)? That will tell you how important they are!

My DH would disagree (he's old school "you should never rely on a camera" and gets annoyed that every car has them now) but I think that you should absolutely rely on the camera as a supplement to your own eyes. You should always check around your vehicle as if there were no camera, but the camera helps you see things that you can't. Especially since cars are just bigger these days - you can't see a toddler or an animal or something small directly behind you without a camera.

To be fair, my DH is coming from the point that he thinks having the camera in cars gives people a false sense of security - so they rely 100% on the camera. My opinion is that you need to both use your eyes (primary) AND use the camera! DH has little faith in the general public when it comes to understanding my point of view, LOL.

Bottom line, I vote for the camera!

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had an SUV with a camera for almost a year now. I do glance at it before backing up, but I don't rely on it. But I can see pretty well out the back of my vehicle, so I don't find I really need it.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't buy a car without a back up camera. I recently bought a new SUV and while the back up camera is awesome, it did not come with the beeping sensors I had on my old SUV. I was pretty bummed about that, as I thought that was a great feature in addition to the camera.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

To me, the back up camera is a must have. Some have a wider view, but of course you still have to glance back and check that no one is coming from the side. It’s great for backing up long stretches, too.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Now that I'm used to it I wouldn't want a vehicle without one. Ours have a wider view which is great to when backing up from the drive way. Extremely helpful in school parking lots.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4