jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Speech therapy question

I think there are a few speech therapists on this board and hoping you can help. DD has always had a bit of a lisp. When she was younger, I remember asking her teachers if they noticed it too and if she should be evaluated by the school speech therapist, but I was told not to worry.

Well, now she's 11 and in 6th grade, and I'm realizing it's still there. I think at this point she's too old (and it's not severe enough) to go through the school system, but I do think it's something she should work on, because it will affect how others perceive her. But how do I find a speech pathologist? Ask her pediatrician?
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You could try the school, but they have to qualify based on the negative impact it's having on her academics, which it doesn't sound like it is.

You could ask your pediatrician, or ask other parents if they know any SLP's. Also, if you have a local college with a grad school program they might have a clinic and that would be a great spot to try. Most health insurance won't cover a lisp, but you could try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Your pediatrician should have several practices of slp to recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

You can also try to search through your insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Speech therapy question

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    You could try the school, but they have to qualify based on the negative impact it's having on her academics, which it doesn't sound like it is.

You could ask your pediatrician, or ask other parents if they know any SLP's. Also, if you have a local college with a grad school program they might have a clinic and that would be a great spot to try. Most health insurance won't cover a lisp, but you could try.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yes to all of this. There may not be a negative impact on her education from the lisp as typically it doesn’t affect intelligibility. Plus, school speech therapy means she’ll miss classroom instruction. Try the college clinic if there’s one nearby as it’ll be cheaper than private speech therapy. Make sure she does any homework to see progress. This means she has to want to change how she sounds. Find a way to motivate her.

I had a lisp and I could say it perfectly in speech therapy but I didn’t practice so it didn’t carry over to conversation and I was dismissed from therapy. I fixed it as an older child when I was on the debate team.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post

Well, now she's 11 and in 6th grade, and I'm realizing it's still there. I think at this point she's too old (and it's not severe enough) to go through the school system, but I do think it's something she should work on, because it will affect how others perceive her. But how do I find a speech pathologist? Ask her pediatrician?
    It may not negatively affect her. I worked with a school psychologist with a prominent lisp, it didn’t impact her socially or professionally. Pretty sure I was only the one that noticed it.