Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I went from an Odyssey to a full size suv and don't miss a thing about my van. Yes, the sliding doors were nice when they were little, but it doesn't sound like that is your situation. I don't feel like I lost anything storage-wise but I went to a Yukon XL so it's huge. With one kid, I would shop for something fun to drive since I think most suvs with a third row could work in your situation.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    My family has a Mazda5 (which is about 7 y.o.) and will need to replace it before too long. They really like all those mini-mini-van features but don’t want a full size minivan. Why oh why doesn’t any car mfr realize that this combination of size and features would be popular?

Any SUV suggestions that would be least painful for Mazda5 owners?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Nope, I couldn't find anything so bought another Mazda5 the last year it was made. I had a 2009 edition and then traded it in for the 2015 model because I didn't like any of the full size minivans or 3rd row SUVs with just 2 kids. In Los Angeles I needed the compactness. By the time we need to replace it DS1 will be in college and we'll be down to 1 preteen kid.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The thing you will miss is the cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

This is all helpful - thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I went from a Sienna to a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (two rows). I missed...nothing. Maybe the sliding doors at first but quickly got over that. I like the way the Santa Fe drives better - and haven't had any issue with cargo space at all.

We have a minivan as our nanny car and while it can haul quite a bit and kids like it has movies, we chose to take our SUV (Volvo XC90 or formerly our MB) because they are so much better to drive and don’t feel like a breadbox on wheels. We use a Thule when we need to haul more and have all 3 kids and two large dogs! Don’t miss sliding doors at all or anything else. We prefer the SUV life and on vacation rent the big suburban vs minivan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds like it depends on what you prefer to drive! I’m just now getting used to how big my Odyssey is. I can’t imagine enjoying a large SUV. Lots of people drive them around here and love them but I’m also in Southern California and I really do value a more compact car!

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    My family has a Mazda5 (which is about 7 y.o.) and will need to replace it before too long. They really like all those mini-mini-van features but don’t want a full size minivan. Why oh why doesn’t any car mfr realize that this combination of size and features would be popular?
    Any SUV suggestions that would be least painful for Mazda5 owners?
    Baby Bargains
    I had a Mazda 5 and went to an MDX. Can't say I miss the Mazda 5. I found mine to be quite rickety.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love my Outback, but it doesn’t have a third row option, and really you won’t find that in a compact-ish size SUV or wagon.

We have a Thule soft sided carrier for our car (we actually bought it for our Pilot years ago) and we use that when go on vacation and it helps.

We can easily fit two hockey bags, plus emergency supplies in the back of the Outback (as well as the Pilot) so while it isn’t a mini van I still feel like we have enough space. The sales person when we bought our Outback said the Forrester has the same amount of cargo space if you stack up (which I didn’t want to do as I like seeing out my back window).

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I love my Outback, but it doesn’t have a third row option, and really you won’t find that in a compact-ish size SUV or wagon.

We have a Thule soft sided carrier for our car (we actually bought it for our Pilot years ago) and we use that when go on vacation and it helps.

We can easily fit two hockey bags, plus emergency supplies in the back of the Outback (as well as the Pilot) so while it isn’t a mini van I still feel like we have enough space. The sales person when we bought our Outback said the Forrester has the same amount of cargo space if you stack up (which I didn’t want to do as I like seeing out my back window).

We have the Jetta wagon which has the same cargo room as the outback. The Jetta and Outback actually have more cargo room than most small SUVs, and even if the volume is the same, the area of the trunk is bigger (floor space vs. height). I have been amazed by what we have fit in that car over the years, seats up or seats down.

Now only if we could have a third row rear-facing jump seat like the Volvo wagon I grew up with
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast